Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Pump replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Mesa, AZ

Pool Pump replacement

Hi folks,

Have a really old noisy Hayward pump that has incredibly lasted 13 years here in Mesa. I'm looking to replace it now and the power company offering rebates until April 14, 2014.

Thinking of the Hayward Ecostar. Thoughts? Any recommendations on a local contractor or installer.

I looked at the pricing on the internet and found it was going for$885 with free shipping from Amazon. After reading reviews , I was scared off by the number of buyers getting used pumps that were advertised as new and numerous operability problems and return issues. Also noted that the Hayward warranty is only one year for internet and self installed prices and three years for approved contractors. Which way would you go?

Also, I have an oddsized equipment pad. Looks like a pre-cast concrete that is 27" x 45" and is cracked badly and probably should replace it when I replace the pump. I need a pad this size to keep equipment in current positions without major replumbing. What are my options for pad replacement? Concrete, plastic, rubber?

Thanks to all for your help,

Paul L. My pool: Shasta built 9900 gal Pebble Tec (installed 3/13/2001), Hayward Northstar 1 1/2 hp pump, Hayward C4025 (400sf) cartridge filter. Aquarite Salt system. Quik Clean in floor cleaning system. TF-100 kit.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Pool Pump replacement

Even with the shortened warranty, I would probably still go with the self install. The cost of the pump plus installation would probably be more than 2x the DIY cost so you could end up buying the same pump twice and still come out ahead. Plus most premature failures will occur in the first year or well after 3 years. But you might want to get an estimate anyway.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Tempe, Arizona

I've had good experiences buying pool equipment -- pump, filter cartridges, cleaner -- at Arizona Wholesale Pool Equipment. They're near you in Mesa, off Broadway and Loop 101. Prices are competitive with Amazon.
    16,000 gallon, inground plaster pool with raised spa; Pentair EasyTouch 8 automation; IntelliFlo VS pump; Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter; Poolvergnuegen cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Lakeland, FL

I know in the AC industry they're using the plastic pads to support the AC units. If you can get one cheap enough I'd say go for it. What about just replacing the motor and the seals and keeping the wet end. You won't have to redo the plumbing.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida