Cloudy Water and Mustard Algae

dm912

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
Camarillo, CA
After a several partial drains I went from a cya of 240 to about 50 now. Last week I noticed cloudy water and mustard algae on the sides. I had left the solar covers on for a couple of weeks (the 5' round ones from Leslie's) and did have leaves and such on the bottom when it started to go bad. Several inches of rain water last weekend. Had been running the FC at about 6. I brushed and vacuumed. What I did next may be backwards. Instead of going to SLAM levels (about 20 for me), I went to Yel/Mstrd. Shock levels of 32 for the last few days. Not seeing any algae today and the water is still cloudy but I can easily see the bottom drain. Constant filtering with clean cartridges. Should I continue at FC=32 or let it come down to Shock level=20 and go through a SLAM at the lower level? Using 8.25 bleach. Last night at midnight FC was 32 and this morning was 30.
FC=30
CC=0
TA=100
CH=450
PH=didn't test at this high FC level - was 7.5
CYA=50
Thanks

Things look very good. Water is crystal clear. No algae. Almost no OCLT. FC slowly drifting back down. Going to cut back on 24/7 filtering. Water temp. is 79 degrees. It took a while but it worked. Going swimming this w/e.
FC 14.5
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 90
CH 450
CYA 50

Thanks, now I know how to handle an outbreak

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.