Pipe Size Connecting Equipment

I've finalized my order for my pool kit and am very excited. 18x36 RH Kidney (20000Gallons), 27mil vinyl liner, Hayward Tristar 1HP 2speed pump, Hayward SwimClear 325 cartridge filter, ProLogic Automation with 40K Gal Salt Cell and Raypak 117K btu heat pump. My question comes while I think about connecting the equipment. I'm buying the full kit from PoolSuppliesCanada, who have been extremely professional and helpful in the whole process. They supply 1.5" hose and 1.5" fittings (elbows, couplings, ball valves, ect...) for the plumbing. I notice that all the equipment has 2" connections. I asked them about this and they simply said they recommend using the 1.5" and just step down from the 2" connections where necessary. I'd like to get other opinions on this... I was thinking of going with 2" connections, including valves and check valve, ect. between all my equipment (from pump to filter to heater to salt cell)...and simply stepping down to 1.5" to connect to the piping coming and going from the skimmer, returns, ect. Do you think this would be a complete waste of money, or would I benefit from less friction loss and higher flow where I need it most? I'm ready to purchase my package and would like to order all my fittings and valves the proper size so I don't have to worry about changing them in May when it comes time for the pool build.
Experienced advice is very appreciated!
thanks

I would go with 2" as much as possible, including the plumbing to the pool.

Thanks for the feedback. It costs quite a chunk to upgrade all my piping to 2"...and the company selling the stuff says it's not even necessary...however, I realize I'll get more flow and less friction loss, so I may step up and do that. But, I guess the question that isn't clear in my mind is if I stick with 1.5" to the pool, will I still get any benefit of going 2" between the equipment, or will I be limited to the flow I'm getting because of the 1.5" to the pool?

At a minimum go with 2" on the suction line and the pad plumbing. The return lines could stay 1.5". Yes you will get a benefit at the pad because a lot if the head loss is through all the 90 degree fittings.

The cost shouldn't be a lot higher. How much more is the cost? How much plumbing will be provided? You can always get the plumbing somewhere else if they want too much.

In addition to better performance, 2" will be quieter.

How far will the pump be from the pool?

At a minimum go with 2" on the suction line and the pad plumbing. The return lines could stay 1.5". Yes you will get a benefit at the pad because a lot if the head loss is through all the 90 degree fittings.

Thanks...that's what I was thinking...but to get that benefit do I need 2" right from the skimmer...or can I use the 1.5" included from skimmer to the pool shed then step up to 2" at the shed?

- - - Updated - - -

The cost shouldn't be a lot higher. How much more is the cost? How much plumbing will be provided? You can always get the plumbing somewhere else if they want too much.

I'm looking into the cost right now...it might not be as much as I thought. There is 100' of 1.5" provided...but I figure i will need 150-200' alltoghether, so I added a second 100' length... The pump will only be about 15' from one end of the pool...but of course the piping will be much longer to go to the 2 returns and come from the skimmer...

The two drains always connect together into one line right near the drains. From there the line can either go to the skimmer, or the equipment pad. It is far better if the line from the drains goes to the equipment pad.

I would use 2" from the skimmer. The main drains tee together and then go to the equipment pad. I would put a valve on each (skimmer and main drain) to control each independently.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The two drains always connect together into one line right near the drains. From there the line can either go to the skimmer, or the equipment pad. It is far better if the line from the drains goes to the equipment pad.

Thanks for the info!...these are the things I'm trusting the guys who are building the pool to know....but I like to have the info myself so I'm informed when talking to them about it. I'm obviously not very knowledgable when it comes to this part of the setup. If the line from the drains goes to the equipment pad, what does it connect to?...and is there always water circulating from the drains to the pump...like the skimmer...or are the drains valved, as James states, then only opened if I'm actually draining water? Sorry for the stupid question, just trying to understand the whole setup.
Thanks again

You want valves just in case. Normally they are both open. Then the two lines connect together and feed into the pump.

Water is drawn from both the drain and the skimmer any time the pump is running during normal operation.

You typically turn off the drain line when vacuuming, to give more suction to the skimmer. You typically turn off the skimmer if you are draining the pool, so it doesn't draw in air.

You want valves just in case. Normally they are both open. Then the two lines connect together and feed into the pump.

Water is drawn from both the drain and the skimmer any time the pump is running during normal operation.

You typically turn off the drain line when vacuuming, to give more suction to the skimmer. You typically turn off the skimmer if you are draining the pool, so it doesn't draw in air.
Makes perfect sense...thanks for the explanation!

My PB stated the 2 inch is 70 cents more a foot. He uses the PVC flex. Rigid PVC is 17 cents more. This is going from 1.5 inch to 2 inch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.