Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Building a new spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Building a new spa

Hi Doctors of fluidology and everything wet....

I'm here in Nicaragua building a fairly large pool with an attached spa. The spa would overflow into the pool. I would like to put in one spa drain with a 2 1/2" sump port. I would quickly upsize the 2 1/2" PVC pipe to 3" PVC pipe as it goes directly back to the pump. This line would be valved. Most of the spa drain sumps are 1 1/2" and 2" Do they make any with 2 1/2" ports?

Location of spa drain: It looks like most if not all of the spa drain covers stick up at least 1 1/2" from the floor. That's got to be hard on toes and feet in the spa. What if I were to locate the drain in a corner of the spa or on the wall near the floor as some spa drains say that they can be installed that way. Is there any disadvantage in putting a spa drain on the wall, near the floor, besides, according to spec. sheets, that the flow rate is reduced. It looks like most of spa drains that I have been looking at show a flow rate of around a 100 GPM @ 2.72/sec.

Any suggestions anyone? This is all new to me and definitely not my area of expertise but away we go.....
    Outskirts of Managua, Nicaragua. 50,000 gallon in ground 60' x 20' poured concrete pool with an attached jacuzzi, deep end of 9' 4", shallow end of 4'. Two Pentair salt water generators, two Pentair Intelliflow XF variable speed 3 HP pumps, two Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 520 sq. ft. cartridge filters, two Pentair Intellibrite LED pool lights, one Pentair Intellibrite LED spa light.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Building a new spa

The port size isn't critical, you can simply add an adapter to change to the size pipe you are using. There will be some trivial affect on the flow rate, but it will be so small you won't notice.

Remember that you need dual drains 3' apart for safety.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Do I still need two drains even if the drain cover has one of those anti entrapment covers?
    Outskirts of Managua, Nicaragua. 50,000 gallon in ground 60' x 20' poured concrete pool with an attached jacuzzi, deep end of 9' 4", shallow end of 4'. Two Pentair salt water generators, two Pentair Intelliflow XF variable speed 3 HP pumps, two Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 520 sq. ft. cartridge filters, two Pentair Intellibrite LED pool lights, one Pentair Intellibrite LED spa light.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, you always need anti-entrapment covers and either dual drains or a SVRS.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School