Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

First time pool owner

Hey everyone, as the title suggests I'm new to pools but I have done some research beforehand. However, in my experience the best learning comes from joining a forum.
    I have a few problems with the pool like the lights not coming on which is what I assume a bad GFCI. I was told it was leaking but have yet to do a "bucket test". There is more but for now I don't want to make this too long.
    To start, I put a picture labeled with 1,2,3 which I still don't know what it could be. I am thinking 3 might be a fill valve? I will have to remove box 2 to see inside. 1 I have no idea. The bad GFCI can also be seen. Anyone know what 1 is? I tried to put as much info I could get in the signature as requested in forum rules. Thanks in advance.
    IMG_4834.jpg
    CS250 Cartridge Filter, SHPM2.5, SHPF3.0 Pumps, PLC1400 Salt Cell, IG(Pebble)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time pool owner

Welcome to TFP!

1. Is the manifold for the in floor cleaner popups.

2. Is the deck box where the pool light wires are connected to the power source.

3. No idea, what happens when you turn it?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I would guess #3 is an auto fill line. Just a guess, but it looks plausible.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Well today I replaced the GFCI which was getting 120V. After switching it with a new GFCI the lights are now working and the lights turn off when the GFCI is tripped.

I turned the blue valve which did have water rush through it for the first partial second but didn't fill the pool. I went to my main water meter just to confirm and no water was being used. So 3 has water but is not using it and there are not other valve except on the main system.

For now I put a garden hose to fill the pool up to the skimmer level and will try the suction valves once it is full. It has used close to 1500 gallons so far to raise about 2-4 inches.

Thanks so much for letting me know what 1 and 2 are. Now I know what those "sprinkler things" are in the pool. Still lost on number 3 for now.
    CS250 Cartridge Filter, SHPM2.5, SHPF3.0 Pumps, PLC1400 Salt Cell, IG(Pebble)

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have a mister system anywhere? #3 could be piping to a mister system...
    Built 2003, 14k Gallons, IG Pebbletec, Primary Pump: Sta-Rite Intellipro VS, Sta-Rite Series 3 S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Fiberstars Jazz Light w/Color Wheel, Polaris 280 Vacuum (Runs Zodiac PB4-60 Booster Pump) and 2 Waterfalls (Run on separate, dedicated 1HP Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II Pump).

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, shoot! I thought that might be it. I guess we will have to wait and see.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem