Pump Dead-Need Consultation

Oct 14, 2013
My pool pump is not working, and according to the pool company that services my pool, the motor is dead. My pool is 12,000 gallons. It has a caretaker system, and a Polaris which runs off a booster pump. No water features, etc. The pump that died is a 2hp. Pics of my setup, and the filter are below. Pool company has given me the following quotes. New 2hp motor=$600. 1.5hp Whisperflow=$1055 (say I need the whole pump if I downsize 1/2 hp). Whisperflow 3hp variable speed=$1,800.

I don't mind paying installations costs obviously, but I have a feeling this company is marking up their pump prices just a tad.:D I figure I can probably get something cheaper on Amazon. I'd like a variable speed if it will save me some energy costs, but not gonna pay $1,800. I saw the following variable speed pumps on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP340...394151825&sr=8-2&keywords=variable+speed+pump

http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-Intel...394151874&sr=8-3&keywords=variable+speed+pump

Would either of these pumps be a good choice for my pool? Will I expect to see any energy savings given my setup? If not, could I step down to a 1.5hp pump? Maybe like this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-34003...UTF8&qid=1394152046&sr=1-2&keywords=pool+pump

Would really appreciate any feedback on these issues. Again, don't mind paying the pool company to come install it, just don't want to get reamed on the pump.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

That second link is the Whisperflo 3HP VS pump that they quoted you at $1800. The first link is the Hayward "equivalent" of your second link. The 3rd link is a smaller pump line than the Whisperflo, so it will move less water than a 1.5HP Whisperflo.

Your problem is that the Caretaker requires high flow rates, so you can not really get a smaller pump because it will not run the cleaning system adequately. Even getting a VS may not be worth it since you will have to run it at high RPMs to run the Caretaker ... unless you shorten the Caretaker run time and ran a portion at low RPMs to save electricity.

I think I agree that if you want to go to a smaller HP you may need a better wet-end of the pump like the Whisperflo.

Note that pool companies have recently gotten strict about their warranties and have drastically reduced the length if it is not installed by a "professional", what I do not know if is you have to also BUY it from the professional ... or if the professional will install equipment that you did not buy from them.

- - - Updated - - -

Another option is your are able to run at lower speeds and just not have the Caretaker work for part of the time would be either replacing the motor with a 2-speed motor or getting a new 2-speed pump. That could save you some $ on power but be cheaper upfront.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I've thought about the caretaker issue and new I would have to have a certain amount of pressure to make that operate sufficiently. To be honest, I don't have a real problem with debris getting in my pool. I've got the Polaris running on the booster pump about an hour each day just to pick up the small amount of debris that does get in the pool. Only having the caretaker operate at 100% part of the time would probably be ok. Question I have is if I do get a variable and run it at lower speed, I guess the water will still return via the caretaker as I don't have any other returns...that I know of at least?? It just won't come through with enough for to blow the debris around. Is this somewhat correct? I'm a relative novice at this pool equipment stuff, so pardon my ignorance.

So, the pump below is a better choice than the 3rd pump listed in my initial post?
http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-Stain...TF8&qid=1394153840&sr=8-2&keywords=whisperflo

My previous pool had regular wall returns that I would select with a valve instead of the floor ... check for that, but if it is not obvious, I would guess you do not have them.

You are correct that the water would return to the pool through the floor still at a low flow rate, but likely would not rotate zones or even rotate the pop-ups (I am not sure) ... so your circulation may not be very good.

That link is what they quoted for you for $1055 I think ... although I would consider the 2-speed version if you are going to get a new pump (that is not a full VS) or just going to replace the motor. I think this would have similar flow to your existing pump.

BUT ... check, what is the service factor listed on your existing pump? HP does not tell the full story as the manufacturers play games with the numbers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.