Draining Off Excess Water

Feb 7, 2014
How do I drain off excess water? Due to rain....water is to the top edge of the skimmer and needs to be dropped an inch or two. There is a valve at the bottom of my cartrige filter, I assume I open it with the pump on? When I opened with pump off, nothing happened. Before I tried it with pump on, I wanted to get clarification ;)

Picture attached.

20140306_172247.jpg

With the pump on, water will shoot out of the valve on the bottom if you open it ... might want to modify it so you can screw a hose on it and spread the water around.

You can also open up the filter and then turn the pump on. That will drain the pool more quickly, but make a correspondingly larger "mess" around the filter, with water coming out quite quickly.

A more controlled, but far slower option is to use a garden hose to make a syphon, or use a sump pump.

Some cartridge filter systems have a garden hose bib installed in the plumbing for draining water. That would require some minor plumbing, but is a simpler to use long term solution. Of course this isn't really different than using the valve at the bottom of the filter, just (potentially) easier to use.

I think getting a short piece of pipe and a fitting to connect to the the ball valve with a male thread on the other side that you could hook a hose to would be pretty easy ... might be kind of slow ... but certainly easier than cutting pipe, adding a Tee and hose bib.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.