Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster Material

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster Material

Our pool is nearing the finishing stage and we're nearing the stage where we need to finalize our interior finish. We originally selected just to-do a plaster finish but both my wife and I would really like to have some sort of color in an effort to modernize it and not make it look as dated. Our builder gave us a quote of about $3000 for a Quartz finish but we're really trying to keep costs to a minimum as to not over-improve on the house.

We've been looking into an option of adding some quartz aggregate into the white plaster finish to help achieve the desired color results (similar to BMORESWIM's project http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...l=1#post489200). Overall the desired result would be a light blue or a light gray finish just to modernize and not make the pool surface appear so bright white.

Has anyone done anything similar? If so, how successful was it? Did you have any issues with uneven color?

Would really appreciate your thoughts and input.

Thanks!

i-jDWcw8r-M.jpg
    i-cj3ZLpd-M.jpg
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-CCs5V/i-jDWcw8r

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plaster Material

Adding some quartz aggregate into a white plaster finish is exactly what your builder was quoting you, as that is a "quartz finish".

There will always be some color unevenness with quartz, though an experienced crew will be able to minimize the difference.

Quartz does cost more up front, but it generally pays for it's self in a better looking and longer lasting surface. Reviews on the forum are almost all positive, with the occasional complaint about uneven color.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Adding some quartz aggregate into a white plaster finish is exactly what your builder was quoting you, as that is a "quartz finish".

There will always be some color unevenness with quartz, though an experienced crew will be able to minimize the difference.

Quartz does cost more up front, but it generally pays for it's self in a better looking and longer lasting surface. Reviews on the forum are almost all positive, with the occasional complaint about uneven color.
    Makes sense JasonLion, thanks!!!

I believe that is exactly what he was quoting me for - a Quartz finish. My other option was more of a hybrid between 'plaster' and the quartz option. As an example, using the following ratio of marble dust to white cement to diamondbrite quartz: 1 bag DB Onyx, 4 bags white cement, 7 bags marble dust per batch. BMORESWIM used this solution (it's actually his ratio) wanted to see if others have as well and what their experience was. Would value hearing if there is anyone else that has done this type of finish.

4. Back To Top    #4

I would go with the all quartz finish. If you are going that far, you might as well go all the way.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I've contemplated the exact same thing. I'm waiting to decide which route to go until I speak with the PB again. My thought was to add small amounts of blue quartz.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor