Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rigid PVC heated and bent in OKC spa!

1. Back To Top    #1

Rigid PVC heated and bent in OKC spa!

After two years of trying to find a PB who would not use Flex, we have a spa plumbed with rigid sched 40 PVC!! No biggie I know, but unheard of here in OKC. The guy that did it moved from AZ. Also, one might notice the dirt donut, common in AZ, to save on gunite costs.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...psjilpubnc.jpg
    IG gunite Edmond, OK(OKC), 18x36 freeform ~20K, 4-8' deep, Pentair equip, (2) 3hp VS+ pump, 520 cart filter, 3 LED, Easytouch8, ItellichlorIC40 SWG, Polaris 3900 cleaner, Spa 8'x18"raised, 20' raised bond beam 2 sheers, Stonescape Tahoe Blue quartz plaster, TF-100 kit.
    Feb. 25, 2014 dig started, May 24, 2014 filled.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rigid PVC heated and bent in OKC spa!

19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

What did he use to heat the PVC?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

It was just the standard torch hooked up to a propane bottle. Which makes one wonder what damage could have occurred if heated too much? I can see the risk/reward with flex or heated rigid, I just chose to take the chance with rigid.
    IG gunite Edmond, OK(OKC), 18x36 freeform ~20K, 4-8' deep, Pentair equip, (2) 3hp VS+ pump, 520 cart filter, 3 LED, Easytouch8, ItellichlorIC40 SWG, Polaris 3900 cleaner, Spa 8'x18"raised, 20' raised bond beam 2 sheers, Stonescape Tahoe Blue quartz plaster, TF-100 kit.
    Feb. 25, 2014 dig started, May 24, 2014 filled.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I've got a pretty cool tool in my backyard right now. It appears to be built just for this purpose. It's a box with holes in each end. Along the inside is a heating element. Box is probably 24-30" long.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes they make heat boxes for bending pvc. I have used them on custom window mouldings to create the arc with pvc board trim. Very neat device
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I am surprised he could bend pipe that large without some type of forming tool. Makes me want to try it just to see if a rookie can do it reasonably well.

I doubt it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Bending PVC with just a torch takes quite a bit of skill. It is much easier to do with a heat box.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Just finished re plumbing our pool. I used the torch and propane bottle method extensively. We would lay the 10ft sticks of 2" pvc on the driveway. One person at one end rolling it on the ground while the other person ran the heat down the pipe. Took a few tries to get it right but it was very effective. Use very few 45 and 90 degree elbows. If I had know how well it works I would have gone to a plumbing supply house and gotten 20ft sticks. That would have reduced the amount of couplers I had to glue in place. I have used it with electrical work as well. Just do it in a very well ventilated area.
    28,000gal inground 40x18free form concrete/plaster with spill over spa. 24in sand filter. 1.5hp haywood pump two speed.

10. Back To Top    #10

Very good! I think this is a lost part of the trade nowadays for some reason. Fewer fittings is always better IMO.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem