Filter, pump, swg recommendation

ZOELIU

Jan 28, 2014
Perth Australia
Hi,

I am new to the forum, I've been post similar questions in other threads, but haven't really got the answer I asked for(I did get help tho). And It was my fault as I didn't ask the questions in clear way, either put the questions under the right thread. I guess I was just desperate to get the answer before i can digest all the information.

I think I should be right this time after reading non-stop, hopefully...............

I am coming to the stage where I have to replace pump, sand filter, and SWG at the same time if I could which is really a pain..... They all got issues going(mainly too old to work properly), and I prefer to buy the new one, rather than fixing them. I have read quiet few threads here about the size of pump & filter depending on the type, feature & volume of your pool.

Below are the considerations of choosing equipment
- Climate: Perth, Australia. Hot, Dry, and windy in Summer
- Backyard surrounding: Lots trees and Bamboo, Dry ground in Summer
- Pool feature: Non. We have 3 water jets, and 1 return through skimmer box.
- Usage: 0.5hr/day, 2~3days/week/summer, 0/winter
- electricity unit: US$0.21/kwh, and they are going to increase again soon
- equipment running time: 6hr/summer, 2~3hr/winter

According to the pool size(~60,000L), here is what i think it suits, and please do correct me if i am wrong:

1. Pump: 3/4hp or 1hp variable-speed. what do you think? is that suitable? Will that save the power bill? Or 1/2hp single speed would do the job? Will it be enough to do vacuuming?(inlet pipe is 50mm/2", from pool to pump; outlet pipe is 40mm/1.5" from pump through filter back to pool)

2. Filter: 28"~31", as we are getting a lots leafs and sand blowing into the pool. I really don't want to back wash very often as that's what we've been doing.

3. Media for fiter: Sand. Would anyone recommend Zeobrite? I read the thread dated back in 2011 and most of senior members wouldn't recommend it. Since it's 2014, any improvement? Or keep away from it?

4. SWG: Chlorine 50grm/hr. Will that be to much? Or under the conditions I have here, 50grm/hr is reasonalbe?

Since I don't have much choice regard to the equipment selection here in Australia, plus on a tight budget, can anyone recommend the brand here is reliable and the price is reasonable if you know any, much appreciated.

Thank you for providing such great place, I've learn a lot from the information that gathering from everyone to this website. And definitely knowing more than the pool shop I used to go. Thanks again for the effort that everybody puts in.

ps: whoever did the pipe configuration, created too many bends!! am i right?

IMG_0409.jpgIMG_0406.jpgIMG_0402.jpg

At the electric rate you have and the likelihood of it increasing a variable speed pump might be a good choice. However a 2-speed 3/4 or 1 hp would also be much better than you have now.

If frequent backwashing is a concern you may want to look at cartridge filters in the 400 sqft (40 M2) size.

We normally recommend oversizing the SWG 1½ t 3 times the size of the pool.

Thanks, BAMA. I will choose variable speed pump due to the electricity cost here.

For the filter, I did consider the cartridge, but have read quiet few people saying it takes to much time & water to clean, and the amount of leafs, debris, & sand we get from back yard would not worth a try. Am I wrong here?

SWG: Did you said 1.5~3 times the size of the pool? How do you do the calculate?

My real life experience with a cartridge filter is with my sis' Pentair 200 ft². To me it's a breeze to tear apart and clean. It takes a lot less water to clean the cartridge filter than it does to backwash my sand filter.

Most SWG's are typically rated for certain sized pools. Just pick one that's rated for a pool 1½ to 3 times the size of yours.

If you're wanting to figure FC output you can actually use PoolMath. Near the bottom there's an "Effects of adding chemicals" section. Just use chlorine gas as the chem and figure adding 3 ppm FC per day.

For your pool it will take about 180 grams per day or figuring 6 hour per day run time you need a unit that will produce about 30 g/hr times 1½ to 3 = about 45 to 90 g/hr. So your 50 grams per hour is about right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.