Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White, chalky stains and "Leslie's Ultimate Scale & Stain Remover"

1. Back To Top    #1

White, chalky stains and "Leslie's Ultimate Scale & Stain Remover"

About three weeks ago I posted that I had some white, chalky stains on the sides and bottom of my fiberglass pool. The stains are my fault; I hadn’t yet begun the TFP maintenance regimen. Using test strips (I know….bad, bad, bad!) the pool’s TA indication showed to be way low. So…based upon the directions and required amount of product recommended on the box, I proceeded to dump a good sized box of “Alkalinity Up” into the pool. The stains showed up within 30 minutes or so (don't know what caused them) and all attempts to brush them off have failed. Now…I found a product at Leslie’s called “Leslie’s Ultimate Scale and Stain Remover”. The product info states that it’s a non-irritant to swimmers (not an issue in this weather) but I’m wondering if this stuff will throw my other chemicals off AND will this product really work.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Barry
    Barry, Central GA
    15X36 IG 14,200 gal fiberglass pool. Hayward Sand Filter with 1 HP Hayward SUPER PUMP. Pentaire "Kreepy Krawly Robotic Cleaner

e-mail: oso49@cox.net

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: White, chalky stains and "Leslie's Ultimate Scale & Stain Remover"

You really need to start with a complete set of reliable water test results. Without knowing where you are starting from, it is impossible to guess at what various possible treatments will do.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yesterday's test results: FC 3; PH 7.7; TA 80; CH 220; CYA 40
    Barry, Central GA
    15X36 IG 14,200 gal fiberglass pool. Hayward Sand Filter with 1 HP Hayward SUPER PUMP. Pentaire "Kreepy Krawly Robotic Cleaner

e-mail: oso49@cox.net

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by bear31088 View Post
    I found a product at Leslie’s called “Leslie’s Ultimate Scale and Stain Remover”.
    I would probably not put that in the pool. I can't find an MSDS online. Just for fun, what are the ingredients?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

We are having a similar problem. We have tried lowering the ph to 6.0 for 2 weeks and put serveral gallons of scale remover in the pool (26,000 gallons). Nothing happened at all. Been scrubbing bottom and sides of the pool for 6 weeks. Two weeks with ph at 6.0 and 4 weeks with ph of 7.4 We are being told you can feel scale and that if you scrape it, the scale will come off. We can not feel anything and nothing comes off at all. Looks streaky on the walls. The bottom is whiter and worse in certain areas. Unsure what to do at this point. Any ideas on what this could be other than scaling?