What Am I Working With?

Mar 3, 2014
Tamarac, Florida
Hey everyone,

I've uploaded some pictures I took of the pool and equipment at my mother-in-law's house here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9oTShyym_nja1NYYmVJMlB3SE0&usp=sharing

If you can take a look at the pictures and tell me:
1. What kind of Pump and Filter I have.
2. If you see anything else that I should get; that I need.
3. Have any recommendations based off of what you see.
Please let me know.

The test kit I bought last night from Home Depot; at least to get started.
Next will be the chemicals to start treating the pool.

P.S. I'm still trying to figure out where the light switch is to turn the pool light on. Any suggestions where to look?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

You have a 3/4 HP pump, details probably don't matter. Your filter is a cartridge filter.

That test kit is much better than nothing, but not a good long term solution. Long term you should get a test kit with a FAS-DPD chlorine test, like the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006.

The first three steps are to get those leaves out of the pool, get a complete set of water test results, and make sure the pump/filter are working.

Thanks. I need to get a leaf net pool cover because they have trees all around the pool and it's almost impossible to keep them out of the pool without some sort of cover.

The pump and filter seem to be working because on Sunday I cleaned out the basket in the pump (was full of leaves) and scrubbed the walls and floors with the brush they had, and the pool already looks a lot cleaner than it did that day.

*Just an update*

This is going to take a lot more work than I expected until I get a pool cover. Came back and the pool was brown and FULL of leaves. Their neighbors tree hovers over the fence and close to the pool and with all of the wind lately, it goes straight into the pool. And then the skimmer basket ends up full of leaves, etc.

So yesterday I cleaned out the pump basket, the filter, and the skimmer basket. Used a skimmer net to get as many leaves as I could but ended up being a waste as the wind kept blowing new leaves in the pool. I have to look into either finding a cheap pool cover or just making my own, which I have an idea to do so with some perfect plastic fencing that was left by the previous home owners.

In the meantime, I also got a vacuum and hose. Think I need to get some of that Yellow Gone or whatever it's called to at least clear up the water so that I can see better and start skimming all the leaves out and vacuuming the pool. A bit frustrating but I am determined to get this.

I'm pretty sure this won't do much but because of the money I spent on everything else, I bought one of those chlorine bobber things that you can put the chlorine tablets in. Put two in it and placed it in the water to hopefully at least do something compared to nothing. I get paid Friday and plan on buying chemicals to shock the pool.

Just stock up on Plain store brand Bleach when you do. You can save those pucks for when you are gone provided your Cya isn't too high. Have you used the tablets, or pucks in the past for Chlorine? They will add a lot of Cya to a pool that size rather quickly.

Also, just curious, what are the dimensions of your pool?

Don't add anything like that Yellow Gone (whatever it is) because its probably a waste of money for what you need right now. And if you're buying tablets of chlorine you're also getting CYA also in those tablets. Unless you already know you need to add CYA, you could be causing yourself more trouble down the road. Get a leaf rake, get a GOOD test kit (TF-100 is my choice, it pays for itself quickly by keeping you from buying UN-necessary chemicals) and post a full set of water test results here. The experts here will advise you about what to do. Most likely you're going to need to perform a SLAM (which is a process to clean the water, not some bag of chemicals one tosses in once and forgets about).
Get the test kit, some household bleach (not those tabs!) and lets get to work on that puppy!! :rolleyes:

You should be able to find a leaf cover for around $50 and they work wonders. This will be a yearly issue when spring hits and again in the fall. It's well worth the investment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Phil,
Take a gander at the pool school button in the upper right hand corner. Its a good read and will help you immensely in your quest to get the pool balanced. Odds are the only 2 chemicals you will need in the near future are Muriatic Acid and Bleach (liquid chlorine). Avoid the pool store unless you like throwing money down the drain.

Chris

Thanks guys. I actually read the pool school stuff a couple of weeks ago and printed it out for reference when I'm there. That way once I do the water tests I will know what is needed chemical wise. I just am confused about the other stuff but the more videos I watch and information I read, it's making a little more sense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.