Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What HEATER should I buy?

1. Back To Top    #1

What HEATER should I buy?

Hi, I had to junk my pool heater last year. Jandy/Laars 400,000 BTU. I should have junked it sooner as it seems the copper tubing was disintegrating which caused copper staining in my plaster. Anyway, I'm looking for another heater to last another 10 years or more, 400,000 BTU's. My pool is an inground chlorinated gunite, 27,000 gal, 3M quartz plaster. My wife likes to keep it at spa temps, at least 90+ degrees. I had a LoNox natural gas unit. I will be installing it myself. I'm not concerned about the plumbing. Maybe a little concerned about the wiring. And wondering if any gas pressure testing equipment will be needed when installing the new unit. I can't afford top of the line. Just looking for something mid-range, easy to install, and weather proof as it will be exposed. Is it safe to buy on Amazon or Ebay? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What HEATER should I buy?

The Raypak heaters tend to get the most recommendations as I have seen on the forum ... both from owners and those in the pool industry.

You need to check that the warranty will be valid depending on where you buy it from. Many manufactures have started greatly limiting the warranty unless it is bought and installed by a professional.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

That's what I've read regarding the "professional" installation, which in my area, the few times I hired a "professional" to do anything on my pool equipment they turned out to be a minimum wage summer job kid who could barely tie his own shoe laces. (no offense to true professionals) Raypak. I'll take a look at them. Like I mentioned above, I had bad staining on my plaster I think from the failing 10 yo heater. Could that be true? And if so, what types of internal plumbing material should I be looking for?

4. Back To Top    #4

I think the only reason you would have gotten copper out of the heater exchanger is if you allowed the pH to stay too low in the pools ... which is a real possibility if you exclusively used trichlor tablets or dichlor powder.

There are now nickle exchangers, but the copper should be fine if the chemistry is balanced.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Have you looked at Heat Siphon. http://www.heatsiphon.com/

I've got a very old unit. Seems pretty durable.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

It's very rare that if you take out one heater and replace it with one of the same size do you ever need to mess with gas pressure. The life of a heater is now quoted by manufacturers as about 7 years. So I'm not so sure you will get as many years out of a new as you did your old unit. It's a must to always keep your chemistry in line. Even if you purchase a cupro nickle heat exchanger, it's only a matter of time before a failure if you do not keep your chemicals balanced.

Yes Raypak/Rheem is a very good unit.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

+1 Raypak

You can also get an exchanger failure from erosion strip, (too much flow through the heater). What is your flow rate/ pump size?
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry for my earlier post. Didn't realize you were looking at gas only.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

9. Back To Top    #9

Just got a raypack last month. Only really used it twice now but I love it.

Nps gave me a hard sell on the pentair but I made them get a raypack and I'm glad I paid the extra $$.
    Independent installer told me I made the right choice. Said raypack is the way to go as their business is making heaters. Not pool pumps. Cheaper/standard parts too.

14,000 gallon IG plaster pool, Cartridge Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

What do folks think of the Jandy LXi? That's what my pool guy has recommended.
    15K, IG Fiberglass, Pentair Cartridge, Nature2 Fusion, 2x PoolCleaner, installed Fall 2012

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by eball View Post
    What do folks think of the Jandy LXi?
    I think you should get a Raypak.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok, revisiting this thread as it is time to buy. Does anyone have any opinions good or bad on this heater? http://www.inyopools.com/Products/04...tm#description. Unfortunately there isn't any reviews.

13. Back To Top    #13

That heater would be fine. The cupro-nickel is a little more resistant to chemical damage, but with proper chemistry the copper would be fine as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by eball View Post
    What do folks think of the Jandy LXi? That's what my pool guy has recommended.
    I've had my share of problems with my Jandy LXi. When it finally dies, I'll be replacing with another brand.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    That heater would be fine. The cupro-nickel is a little more resistant to chemical damage, but with proper chemistry the copper would be fine as well.
    I tend to let the chemistry get a little out of wack.

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't impressed with my Jandy. I was replacing something almost every year on it.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by petes914 View Post
    I tend to let the chemistry get a little out of wack.
    Well, that is not good on a number of levels.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

I was ready to pull the trigger on the above heater link I mentioned. http://www.inyopools.com/Products/04...tm#description
    Going back and forth with inyopools.com via email regarding availability/shipping/ETA etc. They were very responsive. Then I noticed on the web page the "Parts" PDF. It shows a parts diagram for a 1993-1998 Raypak. So I asked how old the unit was and what the Raypak model number was. No answer. Should I be concerned? Also, why can't I find any reviews on this model? I found a couple for the RP2100 model i think on Amazon and it got bad reviews.

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

One thing to keep in mind when shopping for anything and looking at reviews, there will be a few bad for some reason. You can't make everyone happy and there are bound to be a few units here and there with an issue. However, for the most part, Raypak/Rheem is a great unit. I repair far more Haywards and Pentairs than the Raypaks.

No if you have been emailing back and forth with a company and then you ask a question with no response you do have to wonder if they took a nap or are avoiding you. Here is a link to Raypak's sight to look at their units. http://www.raypak.com/product.aspx?i...3-78A6471032E8
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks for the advise. I went ahead and ordered it. I'll provide feedback as soon as I get it and install it. Thanks!

20. Back To Top    #20

My Jandy lasted 4 years before I needed service and I found to be a fairly finicky unit. Love the Rheem but only had it one season. Happy heating

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast