Water level

May 31, 2008
PA
I'm really new to pool ownership - literally. My new IG vinyl pool was filled with water just yesterday! Pool school isn't until Wednesday.

They filled the pool to about the middle of the skimmer box yesterday. Since then, 10 50 lb. bags of salt were added (for the SWG to be activated next week) and then we got an inch of rain from a thunderstorm tonight. The result is that the water level is now just over the top of the skimmer boxes.

I thought of calling the pool installer to check, but then I thought I could just post here. Should I lower the water? Is it best to hook up a submersible pump or can I use the hose discharge from the cartridge filter to do this?

Thanks in advance - treat the noob nicely. :-D

7 posts barely still qualifies you for "noob" status but we'll still be nice! :-D Welcome to the forum!! :-D

can I use the hose discharge from the cartridge filter to do this?
Yeah, I think I understand you are talking about turning your multiport valve to a "waste" setting and lowering the pool by running your pool pump. That will work fine.

Might be a good time, If your pool is dirty, to vacuum on that setting and make use of the extra water.

When they start talking about chemistry at your pool school, cover your ears and don't let anyone pry your hands away until they stop. Then, come back to the forum and learn the right way to have a sparkling pool. :lol:

Dave, cartridge filters don't normally have multiport valves or allow you to vacuum to waste since you don't backwash a cartridge filter. They are talking about the bottom drain that is used to drain out water when cleaning the cart or winterizing.

mskovrinskie,
Yes, you can open that drain at the bottom of your filter to drain some water out of the pool. You might not even need to turn the pump on to do it since it will act as a syphon in many pool installations.

Thanks for the guidance. I will try draining off an inch or so today through the filter drain. I tried this a little last night (in the rain - no fun) but trying to connect a hose reel and got fed up with the very low pressure drain from hose and all the mud around me. I thought the filter waste drain would have been under pressure but it appears it is just gravity draining so I will remove the hose reel and just use a straight hose to drain.

If all else fails, my brother in law has a submersible marine pump to return to me today that will definitely make short work of the task.

What is the right water level though? Should it be in the center level of the skimmer?

The water level can be anywhere from about one inch above the bottom of the skimmer to right near the top of the skimmer. Anywhere in that range is fine. If you are expecting more rain then a little lower is slightly better but otherwise a little higher is slightly better.

Water above the skimmer just means that the pool isn't getting skimmed, there is no risk to the pump. Basically, all that will happen is that there will be more debris you need to remove manually. Water below the simmer can damage the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.