First water test - CYA off charts

Just did my first test using the Taylor K2006 kit. 9000 gallon pool

FC = 13.8 ppm
    CC = 0
    PH = 7.6
    TA = 140 ppm
    CH = 370 ppm
    CYA off charts - about 1/2 way before it hits the 100 mark

Looks like I'm all over the place. TA way to high, and I dont even know what to do about the CYA. Water looks crystal clear, not sure how it got here. I was using a 'pool man' before; this is my first service.

What should my 1st step be? replace water?

2. Back To Top    #2

Yes water replacement is the only way to lower CYA level. The pool man probably got your CYA level where it's at. What did he use for chlorine ?

You can dilute the sample for the CYA test. Use half tap water half pool water and X2 the reading. Use pool math to determine how much water to replace. What type of pool do you have ? If you put all your pool and equipment info in your sig it will help us better help you.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: First water test - CYA off charts

I just purchased this house and have acquired a pool with it I know the previous owners were using tablets, not sure what my pool-man was using (I only used him for 2 months before stopping service). The pool is fiberglass - uses bleach

Just did the diluted test, the CYA is about 180-200

I think this means I need to replace 75% of the water? Would there be any issues draining the fiberglass pool by 75% in a single pass?

edit: updated my signature, but doesn't seem to show up here. Here's the info
    >> 9000 gal IG chlorine fiberglass pool. Pentair FNS DE 60 sqft. Pentair SuperFlo VS

4. Back To Top    #4

That would depend on how high your water table is. You don't want to risk floating the pool. Might be better to do a couple passes.

The pucks are the culprit to the high CYA level and probably the pool man didn't help out any. Regardless you'll need to replace some water to lower that CYA level. You want that CYA level to be in the 30-50 ppm range. Liquid chlorine from now on !
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

I think it would be safer to do three 33% drains, that should almost get you down to the recommended levels.

{Did you click the save signature button and not the preview button?}
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Will do. I'll need to find a pump and start draining away. Thanks for the advice thus far!
    9000 gal IG chlorine fiberglass pool. Pentair FNS DE 60 sqft, Pentair 1.5HP SuperFlo VS, two 80 sqft solar panels, Taylor K2006 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Keep us posted on the out come and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. 😎
    Jeff

8. Back To Top    #8

I just ordered a pump from Amazon and will do the draining next weekend.

Question - during each 33% discharge & refill, do I let the pump run for 1 turnover? or is more necessary? Luckily I just purchased a flow-gauge retrofit for my Jandy valve and can make some use of it!
    9000 gal IG chlorine fiberglass pool. Pentair FNS DE 60 sqft, Pentair 1.5HP SuperFlo VS, two 80 sqft solar panels, Taylor K2006 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Why would you need a turn over? Likely you could run the pump for an hour after refilling and the water will be mixed and you can start draining again.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

A couple of large poly drop cloths taped together and floated on top of the pool will give you a membrane that allows you to fill and drain simultaneously (still get some mixing but way less waste).

The drain pump house under the membrane and the hose goes on top. Just keep an eye on the drain rate and watch for snags as the poly drop cloth or tarp gets pulled to the bottom.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

If I place my submersible pump at the deep end of the pool and fill at the shallow end, is that the same difference?

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by 99sh View Post
    If I place my submersible pump at the deep end of the pool and fill at the shallow end, is that the same difference?
    I would do this instead of the tarp method that which is cumbersome and potentially dangerous.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

That will generally work if your fill water is warmer than your pool water. If the fill water is colder it will tend to sink and get pumped out though.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

14. Back To Top    #14

Update. After a tedious drain/refill, here are my new results:

FC = 0
    CC = 0
    pH = 7.0 (couldn't tell whether it was pegged low at 7.0, or slightly shaded towards 7.2
    TA = 210 ppm
    CH = 210 ppm
    CYA = 47

I just added liquid bleach and will test again tomorrow.

What should I do about my TA? add acid then raise pH with borax?
    I will be adding about 53oz (by volume) calcium chloride to raise my CH to 260
    CYA looks much better. A little high, but in range.

15. Back To Top    #15

Easiest to ignore TA and just keep the pH in range. The TA will slowly come down itself.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Nice job on getting the CYA down. 👍 Liquid chlorine (bleach) for you from now on ! 😎
    Jeff

17. Back To Top    #17

I agree with Jeff and Jason above. Good job on getting the Cya down, and don't worry about the TA. Focus on pH and keep the FC where it should be with Bleach.

Good work!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

18. Back To Top    #18

I am curious as to how you got a CYA reading of 47. 47 seems like an odd number to round to.
    30'x52'' AGP 21,000 Gallons
    TWM 2.64 SF Sand Filter w/ Century 1.5 HP Pump
    BBB'er for life!
    TF-100 Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks for everyone's help, this forum is pretty awesome! I added the required chemicals last night to bring my FC, PH and CH to spec and will measure again this afternoon. I look forward to the day when my pool is stabilized and maintenance becomes minimal.

As for the 47 CYA reading, that was my guesstimate It was above 45 but less than 50, it could've been 46 or 48.

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry

As for the 47 CYA reading, that was my guesstimate It was above 45 but less than 50, it could've been 46 or 48
    Just round your CYA off to the nearest 10 ppm. It's as precise and repeatable as you need to be.

When responders see a "47", it is often an implication that it's from a dreaded test strip.....which none of us like for repeatability or precision.

You have the right kit for a good test so just round it off to the closest 10 ppm and score your self a 50 ppm.

Very nice work on getting your pool under control and managed quickly.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast