Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ugh. Another stupid question...

1. Back To Top    #1

Ugh. Another stupid question...

I feel like I am NOT getting the hang of this. Our brand new pool startup was about a week ago, we had no chemicals in the pool as the builder did not get us started with chemicals, and we did not know to ask them to. So we started from scratch ourselves and are really wanting to get a handle on this pool ourselves.

I got my TF100 test kit....here are my results from today:

FC-14.5!!!
    CC-0
    TC-14.5
    CH-475ppm
    TA-280
    CYA-45ish

We started out with 0 CYA, but shocked the pool with 3 bags of chlorbrite per the "poolstore" guy.....then put a couple of pucks in the dek-clor hole as we were told.....now it looks like I have WAY too much chlorine in there and have about maxed out the allowable CYA....

We have more muriatic acid and will add more tonight......I used Poolmath.....and this is the only thing it says to do? Is there something that I am missing here?

I am worried about the chlorine and the CYA level being so high already. We haven't purchased any liquid bleach to use yet, but what % chlorine bleach should we buy.....and when do you think we will need it?

Thank you for your invaluable help!

Lissy
    brand new Shasta built IG-plaster with quartz interior, 16,800 gallons. Two skimmers, in floor cleaning system, cartridge filter.

Melissa
    AZ

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ugh. Another stupid question...

First of all, take a breath, cause you're doing fine. There's nothing in your numbers to worry at all about. I'm going to let those with new contruction startup experience chime in with more info.

Also, to set your mind at ease, with a CYA of 45, I wouldn't call your FC high. I would call it "high end of the range."
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Keeping the PH under control is your main project for a while. You will probably not need to add chlorine until the day after tomorrow.

TA is high which will raise the PH, and fresh plaster also raises PH, so you will be adjusting the PH down quite frequently, possibly twice a day, for a while. The rapid PH increase should slow down in three or four weeks.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Your CYA level is ok. 30-50 ppm is what we recommend for a non SWG pool. Your high FC level will just drift down on its own.

Get what ever % liquid chlorine is cheapest. I usually buy bleach at Walmart. In the summer Ollie's has 12.5% at good deals so I buy that when they have it.

Use this for your FC levels. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Since the CYA and CH are what they are, you just need to stop using any solid forms of chlorine and switch to liquid. At this point you can likely not add any chlorine for 2-3 days and wait for it to drop back down to the target range.

That TA is really high, did the drops for that test seem big and well formed like the other tests or were they small and shooting out quickly? Make sure to wipe the tip as the instructions tell you.

What is your pH? That is what determines if you need to add acid.

Use whatever % strength bleach you get the best deal on. Check out this tool that a member made to help know what is the best deal:
    http://poncatechsquad.com/dan/calc/chlorine/

- - - Updated - - -

Holy cow ... you just got SLAMed with responses Kind of a slow day I guess.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Nice thing about it is we are all in agreement. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Be careful about adding acid to lower pH. When FC is above 10, the pH test results are skewed. Take a look at the captioned photos in this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...els-with-R-007

And take a half-second to wipe the tip on the R-009 Reagent with a damp paper towel when doing the TA test, to be sure it's accurate. Static electricity can cause smaller drops than usual, which makes it seem higher than it is. Also, if the test goes blue --> yellow instead of green --> red/pink, that's normal with high FC.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!