New home...1st time pool owner....a green pool....HELP!

Ok...our FC level this morning, after an AM shock, was 26. We just tested again this evening, and it is now 7.5. Our CYA incresed from 55 to 60. Should we go ahead and shock again with the amt specified in the calculator to reach a goal of 18-20, or do we need to drain some of the water to reach a lower CYA level? We are trying to get this done soon because we have a storm brewing and will probably hit REAL soon.

By the way...the water is looking MUCH buttter...still a bright/pale green color, but we can now see the bottom!

Here are pics from this evening....see above for pics from this morning.

DSC02443.jpg

DSC02444.jpg

Improvement, yes?

Looks better!

Shock it again!

Leave your CYA alone. If you're using pucks, stop using them. :goodjob:

I would work on getting your algae cleared up first. Its not worth replacing water to reduce your CYA at this time because when you drain some water and you refill it your just going to have the same algae problem start all over again and all your hard work so far will be wasted!!
Right now its important to keep the chlorine at shock level.

As Casey said IF your still using chlorine pucks get rid of them .... I actually took my auto chlorinator off of our return line all together so we couldnt use pucks with out purchasing a floating one.

Once you get your algae under control the rest will be easy !!

Just remember to brush brush brush and keep your filter running 24/7 and clean !! POP !!
It looks much better in the pictures. Im sure in person you can see a differnce in the water ....

Walked out to the pool this am and was able to see the bottom drain for the first time in weeks. FC was at 15 so still losing some over night, but hit it with more bleach to bring it back to shock level.

Got another question...based on our pool size and equipment, what would be an average daily pump/filter runtime (assuming good chemistry in the pool)?

Let me just say that you guys in this forum have been a tremendous help and comfort to us. Thank you so much!

Will post more pics of the pool and its progress in a bit.

Hi Lori~

Sounds like you are on your way to a sparkling clear pool! I can't wait to see an update pic! 8)

As far as run time, I guess it all depends. Some people run their pumps for 12 hours, others run for 8 hours, some even break it up with time in the morning and time at night. I usually run at night and shut off through the day. It works for me so just find what works for you and go from there. :goodjob:

Lori,

If you will notice from your FC levels in the morning your loss during the night time is getting less and less meaning that you are getting a grip on the algae in the pool and it is getting killed off. But you must keep shocking shocking shocking and brush brush brush !!

As far as filter run times we run ours 24/7 but you will have to find what works best for your situation ....

Cant wait to see an updated picture !!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:shock: I think you're starting to turn blue! :shock:

Keep at it!

We want more pics tomorrow!!! :mrgreen:

Good job !! The pool looks much better !!

You have to keep shocking until there is NO FC drop during the night. Just because the pool is clearing up doesnt mean you can say "one more night". Algae wont take a night off and if you stop shocking to soon you will be right back to square one in no time!

Keep the pictures coming!

Lori and Aaron,

Remember to keep shocking until you have NO CC on your a.m. test. Otherwise, the algae will come back. Continue to run your pump 24 hours a day until no CC as well. If you give algae an inch, it can and will come back so make sure you have no CC before you relax.

Strong work!

Craig

BTW, how many gallons of bleach have you used thus far?

Ok...now my CC was 1 this evening (was 0.5)....how do I get it to zero?

Our pool is now crystal clear...BUT...this is the 3rd morning that our FC has dropped 4-5ppm from 18-20 to 15-16.
Sorta feels like we are never gonna get to a loss of 1 or less. :grrrr: I guess we needs to keep shocking at night?
When you said 5 days ago, that we need ALOT of chlorine, you weren't kidding!

These are the pictures from today....day 4 of the algae war....

DSC02454-1.jpg

DSC02452.jpg

When algae takes hold, it reeeeallly takes hold.

Your pool looks amazing!

You have to keep going though!

What a transformation from 5 days ago!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.