Hayward Navigator driving me crazy

The title says it all. My pool cleaner is a Hayward Navigator. Unfortunately it doesn't navigate. I've had it in Leslie's Pool Supplies. The thing used to scoot around and cleaned the whole pool pretty well. Now, however it won't steer. It just creeps into a corner and sits there. Leslie's have replaced bearings, A frames and gearbox. They don't seem able to figure out what's wrong.

I have 2 questions:

Does anyone know what's wrong with the thing?
If I need to replace it what should I get?

Thanks

I have never read much good about that cleaner ... to many parts that always go bad.

The Pool Cleaner (now owned by Hayward) is a highly recommended suction cleaner.

The title says it all. My pool cleaner is a Hayward Navigator. Unfortunately it doesn't navigate. I've had it in Leslie's Pool Supplies. The thing used to scoot around and cleaned the whole pool pretty well. Now, however it won't steer. It just creeps into a corner and sits there. Leslie's have replaced bearings, A frames and gearbox. They don't seem able to figure out what's wrong.

I have 2 questions:

Does anyone know what's wrong with the thing?
If I need to replace it what should I get?

Thanks

I inherited a navigator and I've replaced quite a few parts on mine (purchased from Amazon), including the a-frame, turbine kit, pod shoes, & the gear box. As you know there are quite a few parts. Typically, if it isn't steering, they would usually say to replace the gear box but it sounds like you have replaced that already. There are other gears up near the hose connection (medium turbine/spindle gears) which may play a part in steering and the hose connection collar has a gear also. Here is a video that I found helpful (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD9hiFQBthA) and this guy has some others that show you how to disassemble the navigator.

You mentioned that Leslie's replaced the bearings, assuming the turbine bearings, does it look like the turbine turns freely?

One test you can try is holding the navigator by the hose under water while the pump is running. The navigator should turn in one direction for a few minutes and then turn back the other way if it's operating normally.

Now, one other thing I found. When my filter was not working well, pressures were high, I wasn't getting good flow through the navigator and it didn't move well at all. Once I replace my cartridges and my pressure was only 10, that guy is buzzing the pool again. So, if you think that might be an issue you may need to clean the filter or replace cartridges etc. to get the water flow improved.

Good luck and let us know what you find. If I think of anything else that might be helpful I'll add it.

I'll have to agree with dj_pool! Check suction pressure. My XL came with an L-Shaped Hayward type suction gauge (simple spring type). Adjust the pool/suction valves until the spring-gauge reads above mid to max; mine is just not happy at mid suction or below (hung up too much). Now after I've figured out the tricks, Im completely happy with it.

You mentioned that Leslie's replaced the bearings, assuming the turbine bearings, does it look like the turbine turns freely?

One test you can try is holding the navigator by the hose under water while the pump is running. The navigator should turn in one direction for a few minutes and then turn back the other way if it's operating normally.

Now, one other thing I found. When my filter was not working well, pressures were high, I wasn't getting good flow through the navigator and it didn't move well at all. Once I replace my cartridges and my pressure was only 10, that guy is buzzing the pool again. So, if you think that might be an issue you may need to clean the filter or replace cartridges etc. to get the water flow improved.

Thanks, yes the turbine turns freely, in fact they replaced the bearings a few weeks ago so that's all good.
I did do the test holding the hose and seeing which way the navigator turns. At first it only turned one direction, so I replaced the gearbox myself. But there was no improvement, in fact it doesn't turn either direction now.
I have the pressure gauge thing and my pressures are mid to high but whatever I change it to doesn't make the Navigator to steer. It just goes straight until the weight of the hose pulls it back, then it falls over and set off again generally in the same direction; or it hits the wall, stops, gets pulled backwards a foot or so then goes forwards and hit the wall gain where it stays.

That's odd! I've never had to replace the gearbox-bearings but, a year or so ago, I did open it up (just for a look-see :)) and noticed positioning of a small drive gear was crucial; not held in place by any other components when replacing the housing. I used a small amount of silicone lube to hold it in place during reassembly. Sorry but cannot remember exactly which gear it was, but it involved the turning function and I got lucky as it still worked properly.

Thanks, yes the turbine turns freely, in fact they replaced the bearings a few weeks ago so that's all good.
I did do the test holding the hose and seeing which way the navigator turns. At first it only turned one direction, so I replaced the gearbox myself. But there was no improvement, in fact it doesn't turn either direction now.
I have the pressure gauge thing and my pressures are mid to high but whatever I change it to doesn't make the Navigator to steer. It just goes straight until the weight of the hose pulls it back, then it falls over and set off again generally in the same direction; or it hits the wall, stops, gets pulled backwards a foot or so then goes forwards and hit the wall gain where it stays.

Here is a nice step by step guide that shows the other gears involved also. - http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/how_to_service_the_inside_of_a_hayward_navigator_suction_cleaner.aspx

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.