Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: If you had to do it over again, would you go with a spa?

1. Back To Top    #1

If you had to do it over again, would you go with a spa?

Gonna builds a pool, but can't decide on a spa. I had a jetted bath tub, and I loved my dads hot tub....but is a pool spa as "therapeutic"? Or does it just produce bubbly water? Is all the added expense worth it? Was it worth it for you?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: If you had to do it over again, would you go with a spa?

I am in the excavation phase and recently added a Spa to my project. I just can't imaging not having one. Doing it later will cost more money. If you have the $$ do it.

3. Back To Top    #3

Had one at previous house, did not use it much. Current house does not and we always wish it did ...
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Although possible, I'm sure it would take some expense and more than just an extra pump and jets to match performance of a high-end standalone spa. But, I can't imagine building a pool without one. It has allowed us year-round usage~It's certainly easier to heat the spa during the winter and early spring!
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

After seeing/using a relatives spa, it was not optional for our build.

Backstory: he has pool/spa parties nearly every weekend (massive spa).

I'm not nearly this social, but the lovely wife and I enjoy grilling every Sat. year round. So a spa will go nicely with that in the months that swimming is out of the question (and possibly in the months that swimming is in season). You can make the spa a little more "therapeutic" with different jet options. I have two "captains seats" with dual back jets in them. I'm hoping it works as well in real life as it does in my head.

Of course this doesn't mention the other reason for a spa. Water features.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

6. Back To Top    #6

I live in Miami and we went back and forth about whether to add a spa or not. We liked the idea of jets and "sitting around" and relaxing. But, it is so hot here, friends warned us we would never use it because it wasn't refreshing. We're adding a "spa area" but not a true heated spa enclosure. It will have the jets, the seating area, and some sleeves to add umbrellas for shade, but it won't be a completely separate space with its own pump and heating. Honestly, I'm very nervous about this decision. It could be a fabulous idea or a total flop -- a really expensive one!

I think since you are from North Texas, I would try to add one if at all possible.
    Swimming!: 19x32 IG rectangular pool, 22,500 gallons; 3' - 6.5'; open spa w/ 6 jets; raised wall w/ 1 sheer descent and 2 minijets, 2 color-changing LED pool lights, 1 spa light; Jandy 2 1/2 HP 2 speed Pump, Jandy cartridge filter (320 SQFT), Diamondbrite Cool Blue

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes! We use ours frequently. To be honest although it does get used as a hot tub by the wife and I, most of its use is to allow our toddler to be in the water year round.
    It's been fantastic - that and a firepit which also gets a lot of use.
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

8. Back To Top    #8

Our friends built one in, but I think they use it more in the summer when the pool is going. We have a standalone spa, can go out at anytime and open the cover and use it (which we do several nights a week). A built in one you don't keep heated constantly so you have to heat the water ahead of time (at least the ones Ive seen). If you do build one in, I like the rolled tile edge I have seen on a few spas on the site, seems more comfortable than leaning back into the edge of flagstone with your back or neck.
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:
    osage-hills-pool-build-t50526.html

9. Back To Top    #9

I like being outside as much as possible, especially on sunny days and a dip in pool makes that possible during summer months. My old house had a pool (which I loved) but no spa - which I did not seem to miss.

And I'm not necessarily looking to extend my pool use all year round...

I am going to plan for a tanning deck....cause I can see sitting out there reading...

10. Back To Top    #10

I would do another spa but probably wouldn't have it raised
    28k gal/raised spa, IG quartzscape, WhistperFlo 2 speed B2984T,DEV60 filter,Lxi400 NG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner, DIY Chlorine injection, Build completion 7/2013

11. Back To Top    #11

I would not look at a house without a built in spa when we were buying a new house. We use ours all of the time and to me it lengthens your swim season. It is great to be able to go out when it is cool and sit in the hot tub and look at the stars. Very relaxing to me.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

12. Back To Top    #12

We use our spa as much as the pool. Could not imagine not having it. Daughter and her friends have used it all winter long. Record is 16 High School Juniors and Seniors in it at once.
    43 x 19 Gunite Pool w/ spa and fire pit, 19,000 gallons, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue finish, Jandy 2 HP VS E-pump, Jandy 580 sq ft Cartridge Filter, Jandy LXI 400k Heater, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, 4 Jandy LED color lights, Aqualink PDA and Iaqualink, Polaris 280 with Booster Pump. Polaris 9550 Robot Cleaner. 1 HP Silencer Air Blower for Spa http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...NAL-INSPECTION