Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mustard algae? I just don't get it!

1. Back To Top    #1

Mustard algae? I just don't get it!

I've had my FC levels at 40 for the last week. CYA is 50, pH is 7.8. I can't get rid of what I thought was mustard algae. I pass the OCLT. The pool is clear. I brush and backwash, but within 24 hours it's reappearing on the bottom, never the sides. I have stuck a water hose in my sand filter, to declump any clumped up sand, but that didn't help either. Any suggestions?
    20000 gal inground vinyl liner, HTH 6 Way test with Taylor FAS-DPD for CL, Dolphin DX4 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mustard algae? I just don't get it!

Sounds like it could be pollen. It might be just continuing to fall/blow into the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3

It started near the end of summer last year. Does that sound right?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Elverson Pa.

Mustard algae? I just don't get it!

This stuff that keeps reappearing on the bottom , if you touch it does it just cloud up and disappear or can you still see it and it just moves around ? What color is it ?

If you can put your location in your sig 😎
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5
    South Carolina

Based on your test results and description, it sounds like the filter. Did you also check the laterals in the filter? A cracked/broken lateral in filter could allow the sand to come back into the pool.

I've had my FC levels at 40 for the last week.
    Your liner and equipment will not like being nuked! In the future, should you need to SLAM the pool, we suggest you follow the SLAM guidelines in Pool School because we know the predictable outcome and it will be safe for your pool and equipment.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!