Music Outside

Jan 11, 2011
Kansas City, MO
I am starting to think Spring (hopefully someday it will come) and wanted to improve our music system outside. Right now we just use one of those small Logitech docking stations (like this:
Logitech S715i) but the sound isn't the greatest and they don't last more than a couple of years. What I would like to do is run speakers out to our deck (attached to the back of the house) and above ground pool/deck (about 50' from the house). Ideally I would like to run the speakers to a Denon AVR-1613 receiver we just bought but not sure how this would work. It is currently hooked up to the TV in the basement and wouldn't be used if the music was on outside. Any advice (such as how to hook it up, how the receiver could be controlled from outside etc) would be appreciated!

Any chance you have an iphone or ipad? It looks like the receiver supports AirPlay, so depending on a few factors you maybe able to stream music from your phone to the receiver.

Yes...we have an ipod, ipad and Samsung Galaxy S3 phones. So how would it work? Would the receiver have to be left on at all times or is there a way to turn it on remotely? Would I need some sore of switch to switch between the speakers for the tv and the outdoor speakers? Any decent outdoor speakers you could recommend?

Likely you would have to go to the receiver, turn it on, switch to the appropriate speakers (likely there is an A/B switch on the stereo), and switch to the appropriate input. Then you would have control of the music through your wireless device.

I have an older Denon that has a second zone for my outside speakers, so someone could be watching TV inside and I could have music on outside using the same receiver.

You are right, that only does have a single set of speaker outputs. I am sure you can buy an external switch to select between the TV speakers and the outside speakers. Or just buy a really cheap amplifier to use for your outside speakers with a wireless bluetooth attachment to supply the music.

That would be the easiest. You could use just about any amp/receiver and add a little Bluetooth receiver to it to interface with your phone.

There was a post on here somewhere about a small amplifier (no FM radio or anything) that someone used for their outside music.

Here is the Bluetooth adapter that you could hook up to any amplifier: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OBCAW2

And I think this is like the cheap little amplifier they used: http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI

Id look at a soundbar with Bluetooth. You can find one around $150 and they're simple to connect to your phones/iPod. This is assuming that you're able to hide them enough to keep it out of the weather.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not sure how a soundbar would work because 1. I'm looking to have music playing on both our back deck (right off the back of our house) and our pool deck (about 50' away); and 2. there is no where protected from the elements on our pool deck (our pool is above ground so deck is raised about 4.5' in the air).

After further research, I plan on hooking up the speakers to our Denon AVR1613 receiver located in our family room using a speaker selector switch. A couple of other questions:

1. What kind of speaker wire should i use outside? The wire will be buried in PVC pipe and will be approximately 75' away from the receiver at the furthest point.

2. Any suggestions on decent, budget outdoor speakers? I would imagine they would have to "regular, rectangular speakers" (not "rock" speakers) as both the back and pool decks are raised at least 3'.

Thanks!

I purchased a PYLE portable PA system. It is on wheels so I just store it in my office when not in use. I have found the weather, sun, and salt water can kill just about any piece of electronics. This thing sounds awesome and it has bluetooth, RCA inputs, sd and usb memory slots, just load up a thumb drive with a bunch of music plug it into the speaker and use the included remote to control it. It also has XLR inputs for a microphone. My nieces love it for singing along. It also works great for yelling at the kids when they run. Highly recommended.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111007558592?lpid=82

I have a receiver and two tower speakers in the pool house.

A neighbor complained last summer a couple times and even called the cops :-/

Think it is because the speakers are directed toward their house. Bought a couple rock speakers and going to pick up a couple Bose outdoor speakers. Direct burial speaker wire is expensive but well worth the money.

Be careful with leaving the speaker selector in outside. Once had a movie night with a r rated movie. Didn't realize the neighbors were having a movie night with us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.