Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using Intex Pump on Sharkline Pool????

1. Back To Top    #1

Using Intex Pump on Sharkline Pool????

I am having a 15x52 Sharkline pool installed that will replace an Intex. I currently do not have the money to buy a new pump and the Intex pump works great. Is there any reason that I cannot/should not use the Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump on the Sharkline pool? I understand the connections are a bit different but I have found a way to workaround this inconvenience. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using Intex Pump on Sharkline Pool????

If you can get the pipes / fittings connected, then there should be no problem using the equipment that you have.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. One more question. I happen to have two Intex Sand Filters. Instead of spending the money on a brand new large one, would it make sense to hook them both to the pool? Again, it's a 15x52.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

4. Back To Top    #4

You only have a little over 5000 gallons. How big are the sand filters? You only need about 12-13" diameter for that pool. So, I would think using one of them would be fine.

There are a few members that have used 2 filters. You need to plumb them in parallel so they each see similar flow and you would want a 3-way valve before them to be able to backwash one at a time.

I would try one and see how it goes. If you do not like how often you need to backwash (when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure) then consider adding the 2nd one.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. I have a 19" sand filter. It has been running for a few days and the pool, as all my pools have been, is crystal clear. I figured since I also have a 14", it would be good to hook them both up but I think that I will just keep the smaller one as a backup - or just to ensure the shed stays cluttered.

Also, the installer hard plumbed the Intex pump/filter and it is working great. I am getting so much more flow out of the pump than I ever did with the hoses that came with the system. It has to be the hoses because nothing else has changed.

Thanks for all of you help!

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like the filter you hooked up is plenty big and should work great! Certainly no need for both.
    Jason, TFP Moderator