Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First test results!

1. Back To Top    #1

First test results!

Still don't have the dipper but I think I was able to do fine without it.

27,000 GAL In Ground Pool/Spa.

Taylor K-2006
    FC=6
    CC=0
    pH=7.2
    TA=150
    CH=775
    CYa= >>>100

I did a test strip test (Leslie's brand) just before to compare results:

FC=5
    TCL=5
    pH=7.2
    TA=180
    TH=800
    Cya=250

First thing I think I want to do is reduce the Cya to something under 100 by changing out some of the water. I think I want to do this by using a sump pump in the deep end while filling at the same time on the shallow end. I'm afraid to drop the water too much even though i live in a dessert climate.

2. Back To Top    #2

First test results!

Yep your looking at some water replacement to lower that CYA level. You can do a half tap, half pool water and take that result X2. The test only reads to 100 normally. You would want your CYA level to be 30-50 ppm for a non SWG pool. For a SWG pool you want your CYA level to be 70-80 ppm.

Pool math will help you with how much water to replace.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html.

Your CH is a little high also. What is the CH of your fill water ?

Your FC is low for that CYA level. You would have to maintain a FC level of at least 7 ppm for CYA level of 100. More if the CYA level is higher which it probably is, but your going to take care of that problem.

As for the test strip results you can disregard those and not use them at all. You have yourself a good test kit.

What are you using for chlorine for your pool now ? If you can add all your pool and equipment, info to your sig it will help us better

Keep us posted on how things go. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: First test results!

Thank you.

Yes, it is a non SWG pool. Currently using the "pucks". Will discontinue using them after I change out the water. I'll check the CH of the fill water and try a dilution on the CYa test.

Any recommendations on a sump pump to buy? Would like to maybe just buy a cheap one from HR. Can probably get one for close to the price of renting one I imagine. Plus, I might have to use it a few times in a month span to get it "just right". Especially if I am filling while pumping.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by bigcat$ View Post
    Thank you.

Yes, it is a non SWG pool. Currently using the "pucks". Will discontinue using them after I change out the water. I'll check the CH of the fill water and try a dilution on the CYa test.

Any recommendations on a sump pump to buy? Would like to maybe just buy a cheap one from HR. Can probably get one for close to the price of renting one I imagine. Plus, I might have to use it a few times in a month span to get it "just right". Especially if I am filling while pumping.
    Good job on ditching the pucks. 👍 Only bad things will happen with long term use of them.

I don't have any recommendations on a sump pump, but any of the big box stores will have a selection of them. Your probably right about just buying one.

Keep us posted on how things are going and if you have any questions you know where to come. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to the forum bigcats!

Congrats to you for taking this on yourself. Looks like you'll have this down in short order.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem