Dumb Questions?

Sep 4, 2013
Maybe a dumb question but I have to ask! All of my numbers seem to be good: ph7.5, ch 325, TA 100, CYA 80, Salt 3200 but my FC is 12.5. I don't understand how my chlorine has risen from 4 to 12.5. I have not increased the SWG percentage or have done anything different, the chlorine has just risen. So the dumb questions are why did it climb so high (seemingly on its own, and what should I do to control it? Should I shorten the pump run time? Thanks for the help, and don't laugh too hard if these are rookie dumb questions:p

No such thing as a dumb question. Actually shows you are in tune to keeping an eye on your chlorine level and that's a good thing!

A couple of thoughts/questions on this...
  1. During the time the chlorine rose, was there a significant change in the weather? More cloudy days and cooler temperatures will slow the chlorine demand. If the pump run-time on a SWG pool was held steady during this type of weather change, more chlorine would be added than is consumed which would lead to higher chlorine levels.
  2. Was the pump run time recently increased, say for freeze protection or any other purpose?
  3. How did you test the water? Specifically, did you test it or did you take a sample to a pool store?

The amount of sun and introduced organics you get affect the amount of FC that gets used up, so if you haven't changed the swg setting, it certainly could increase the amount of FC in the pool over time.

Thanks for the info it helps

The only thing that I have been doing is lowering the TA, the TFP way, successfully by adding acid and aerating. The weather in Houston has been crazy, cold one day 40's warm the next high 60's.

Should I reduce the run time?

Thanks again!

BoDarville,

1. Houston weather, blink and it will change. Cold 40's one day, high 60's next. Cloud cover varies.
2. Pump time has not changed. It hasn't got down to freezing during this time period.
3. I tested the water myself with the TF100 kit, and the Taylor salt kit.

What do you think?

Thanks

I would either reduce the pump run time or adjust the %, as Bama suggested. Just keep testing the chlorine level on a regular basis as we head in to spring. The higher sun angle and warmer water temperatures will increase the chlorine demand, so you may have to make adjustments in the opposite direction once the warmer weather takes hold. Also, continue to keep an eye on the salt level - don't have to test this as often as the chlorine level but don't forget about it either.

TexasFrost said:
The weather in Houston has been crazy, cold one day 40's warm the next high 60's.
Yep...I know the feeling. We were at 84°F on Friday, 80°F on Saturday, and yesterday it was in the 20's with freezing rain/sleet.

It is safe to swim up to the SLAM level for you CYA, so I would not be concerned until you get above that.

The FC/CYA Chart shows the Mins and the SLAM level.

With a CYA of 80ppm, I would not worry about it unless you got FC up over 30ppm ... other than the high FC results in more loss to the sun and your SWG is working harder than it needs to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.