Pool Alarm with Autocover??

Blueskies21

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 13, 2011
Middle TN
So part of our proposed pool project includes a coverstar pool cover. One of the reasons is to keep our dog out of the pool but also for future kids and to keep any stray neighborhood kids out of the pool. Tennessee state law requires a pool alarm on every residential pool built after 2011. The law makes no exception for autocovers. Does anyone have any experience with using a pool alarm in addition to an auto cover? Seems somewhat redundant but the law is the law and there is no exception for auto covers. Here's one that supposedly works with an autocover http://www.maytronicsus.com/PoolAlarms/Espio.aspx

I can't find anyone that actually has used one with a coverstar cover in a vinyl liner pool, has anyone tried this??

Tennessee state law requires a pool alarm on every residential pool built after 2011. The law makes no exception for autocovers.

I thought Ca was the king of dumb regulations, but I guess Tn is right there too. Since the auto cover is your safety device why would an alarm be needed?, all I have is the auto cover and that was ok here. My thought is get the cheapest pool alarm available just to pass inspection then do as you please afterward. I'm sure some will disagree with that.

In all truth it is not so much a TN law as it is a federal mandate, that can be interpreted and enforced as each state sees fit. The actual reading of it states that a pool must be fenced on all four sides, the house can be on of those sides any opening from the house to the fenced area must be alarmed. I have one local governing body that we have to have a letter from a cover manufacturer stating the safety ratings of the auto cover and then they will exempt the pool from these regs.

TN Code Annotated 68-14-801-807 Called Katie Beth's Law.

68-14-801. Short title.

This part shall be known and may be cited as "Katie Beth's Law."

68-14-802. Part definitions.

For purposes of this part, unless the context otherwise requires:

(1) "Pool alarm" means a device which emits a sound of at least fifty decibels (50 dB) when a person or an object weighing fifteen pounds (15 lbs.) or more enters the water in a swimming pool, but shall not include swimming protection alarm devices designed for individual use, such as an alarm attached to a child that sounds when the child exceeds a certain distance or becomes submerged in water;

(2) "Residential dwelling" means a one-family or two-family dwelling structure; and

(3) "Swimming pool" means any structure that is intended for swimming or recreational bathing and contains water over thirty-six inches (36'') deep, including, but not limited to, in-ground, aboveground, and on-ground swimming pools, hot tubs and nonportable spas.

68-14-803. Prominent sign by sellers of pools regarding alarm requirement.

Each person, enterprise, agency or entity that sells swimming pools to the general public shall post in a prominent place a sign, at least six inches (6'') high and fourteen inches (14'') wide, that reads as follows:

STATE LAW REQUIRES A POOL ALARM BE INSTALLED.

68-14-804. Alarm requirement in pools.

Each person, enterprise, agency or entity that purchases or acquires a swimming pool to be installed after January 1, 2011, shall install and maintain a pool alarm before using or making available for use such swimming pool.

68-14-805. Alarm installation required for final approval of electrical wiring and for building permit -- Offense.

(a) When an electrical inspection is required for approval of the wiring of a swimming pool, the electrical inspector shall not give final approval for such electrical wiring unless a hard-wired swimming pool alarm has been properly installed or the person, enterprise, agency or entity who has acquired the pool provides written proof that a battery operated pool alarm has been purchased.

(b) (1) No local government shall issue a building permit for the construction or substantial alteration of a swimming pool located at a residential dwelling unless the project calls for a functioning swimming pool alarm to be installed prior to the completion of the construction project.

(2) It is an offense for any person, firm, association or corporation to knowingly accept a building permit for a swimming pool located at a residential dwelling unless a functioning swimming pool alarm will be installed prior to the completion of the construction project.

68-14-806. Violations -- Punishment.

A violation of this part is a Class C misdemeanor, punishable by a fine only not to exceed one hundred dollars ($100). Second and subsequent offenses shall be punishable by a fine only of not more than five hundred dollars ($500).

68-14-807. Exceptions.

This part shall not apply to public swimming pools or multi-family residential housing swimming pools, as defined in § 68-14-302.

Not a lot of room for interpretation there. I think it's completely stupid but I'd like to try to comply. Most of the pool builders around here seem to ascribe to the put it in to pass inspection plan, I'd really like to at least attempt to do the "right" thing though honestly it's pretty dumb based on the autocover preventing people from getting in the pool anyway.

Yes, the regs are pretty clear.

It doesn't say it has to be used, it just has to be installed or make written proof of purchase of a battery operated one. Unfortunately this type of device quickly becomes a nuisance and is routinely bypassed. I'd agree with requiring their installation if they could operate transparently and be effective, but I don't believe that's the case.

I have a CoverStar too, but, sorry, I don't have any good suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.