Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Green pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter Green pool

Hi.
    After much reading, I am ready to clean my green swamp. Was thinking of starting today, but, rain is in the forecast for a couple of days this week, so, hopefully I can start ASAP.

I did some testing yesterday and this is what I came up with.

PH 8.2
    CYA 20 ( Down from 120 last october, but due to leak pool emptied half way)
    TA 300
    CH 80

Can I leave the CYA at 20 or should I increase it to 30?
    I am lowering the PH to 7.3 with muriatic acid. Is that correct?

I used pool calculator ans it says I need 482 oz of bleach 8.25% from walmart. I have bought 12 bottles of 121 oz, that's all they had. Will buy about 12 more, just to make sure I don't run out.

Any suggestions before I get started. First time pool owner, have owned the pool only during the winter.

26K gallons, IG vinyl, Pentair 1.5 HP, Hayward DE filter, TF 100 test kit, Ecojet Turbo Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Winter Green pool

Yes you can leave your CYA at 20 for SLAMMing. You'll use less bleach at that level. The SLAM level will be 10 ppm. A tick or two higher wouldn't hurt. Yep drop your PH down first. 7.2-7.3 will be fine. Some rain should not affect the SALM unless it's an extreme amount.

Just remember to follow the instructions to the T. Test as often as you can and bring it back up to SLAM level. The longer you can maintain SLAM level the faster this will go for you. Backwash your filter when you have a 20-25% increase in pressure from your clean pressure.

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress !😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Winter Green pool

Pwrstrk thanks for your quick reply.
    Do I run the filter on waste mode the whole time or no?
    How often should I charge DE to the filter?
    How long after I add the muriatic acid should I retest?
    Thanks

26K gallons, IG vinyl, Pentair 1.5 HP, Hayward DE filter, TF 100 test kit, Ecojet Turbo Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Winter Green pool

Quote Originally Posted by Stars26 View Post
    Pwrstrk thanks for your quick reply.
    Do I run the filter on waste mode the whole time or no?
    How often should I charge DE to the filter?
    How long after I add the muriatic acid should I retest?
    Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    No don't run filter to waste the whole time.
    You'll have to recharge DE after each backwash. Only add about 80 % of what you would add if you broke down the filter and did a complete cleaning.
    You can retest your PH after 30 min of acid dose. Run pump the whole time to mix well.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

You could run on Recirculate if you have it for awhile until all the algae appears dead (white instead of green). Then start filtering it out and as Jeff said, backwash when the pressure rises 20-25% and then put 80% of the DE amount back in ... this may happen a LOT and quickly when trying to clear the pool since DE filters are so effective.

If you can not be there to monitor the pressure, then again use Recirculate.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok. I put in the muriatic acid and plan on start slamming Tuesday after the rain.
    Do you for see a large amount of DE use. How much should I have on hand?

7. Back To Top    #7

Just curious, what part of the rain is keeping you from starting the process? If it's the "I don't want to be outside" factor, I completely understand. However, rain will have very little effect on the chemistry, so don't let that by itself delay you.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

If you use the recirculate if you have it, it may save on DE. How much DE does it take if you break it down to fully charge it ? How much do you have on hand ?
    Jeff

9. Back To Top    #9

Lol... I don't want to be outside in the rain guessing what I'm doing. That's all. If I knew exactly what I was doing wouldn't have a problem. Specially with this filter thing. That I have to keep checking.
    Not that I am weak. But I'm a female and my only help is my 8 year old. But that's cool. I'm gonna start tomorrow. I've been delaying this for way too long.

10. Back To Top    #10

That's fine. Do it when you are comfortable with the weather conditions. You will have to keep an eye on things.
    Jeff

11. Back To Top    #11

I don't know how much does it take. Prior owner serviced it before closing. I bought one box. Imma check the size.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

I used pool calculator ans it says I need 482 oz of bleach 8.25% from walmart
    One thing that appears to have been lost in this thread is the amount of bleach. Poolmath cannot calculate how much chlorine it will take to complete a SLAM.

The SLAM will be complete whan a certain set of testing criteria is met........not just a one-time dose of bleach.

Please review the SLAM process and get a thorough grasp that it involves multiple dosages of bleach......not a calculated one-time amount. I think you know that but I don't want you to overlook this ESSENTIAL part of the SLAM.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

I just hit a road block!!! After I put the muriatic acid and started running the pump, after a few hours, I hear a weird noise,and went to check, there was no water in the skimmer. Turned pump off, and started to look for something, and notice water running on the side of the pool, coming from under the deck.

Where should I start to see if I can take care of this, or should I just call the leak squad.
    Thanks, and sorry for all the hassle.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    One thing that appears to have been lost in this thread is the amount of bleach. Poolmath cannot calculate how much chlorine it will take to complete a SLAM.

The SLAM will be complete whan a certain set of testing criteria is met........not just a one-time dose of bleach.

Please review the SLAM process and get a thorough grasp that it involves multiple dosages of bleach......not a calculated one-time amount. I think you know that but I don't want you to overlook this ESSENTIAL part of the SLAM.
    Thanks Dave,

My understanding is 482 oz will get me to Shock level, and It must stay at that level until everything is gone, as suggested on the Slamming thread, I purchased 4.5 times the amount needed to get to that level. In my case 10, but calculated to 11.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Stars26 View Post
    I just hit a road block!!! After I put the muriatic acid and started running the pump, after a few hours, I hear a weird noise,and went to check, there was no water in the skimmer. Turned pump off, and started to look for something, and notice water running on the side of the pool, coming from under the deck.

Where should I start to see if I can take care of this, or should I just call the leak squad.
    Thanks, and sorry for all the hassle.
    Sorry to hear this. I'm not a leak expert by any means, but has the liner pulled away from the wall at the place you see the water ? What has the temperature been like where you live ? Burst pipe ?

Hopefully somebody else will chime in with more knowledge on this than me to give some more insight.
    Jeff

16. Back To Top    #16

mmmm, liner looks a little funny, but I am not sure is "pulled away" completely.
    Weather has been cold, pool had froze ( just the top ) maybe 2 or 3 times this winter.

But, the pool has been almost full for the whole winter without leaking, until now when I replenished the water to the skimmer to use the pump is that this occurred..

17. Back To Top    #17

How have you been making out ?
    Jeff

18. Back To Top    #18

Not good. Leak squad guy came. O didn't get to see him or anything. I text Me saying I should just go ahead an replace the liner. Liner it is a little rough but I don't think that's the cause of the leak.
    I'm going to get quotes and just bite the bullet if need be.
    Thanks for following up.

19. Back To Top    #19

No problem. Hope everything turns out ok. At least you'll have a new liner and will be good for awhile.
    Jeff

20. Back To Top    #20

Yeah. Any sugg as to what to check while at it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast