Deck Repair Options

May 8, 2007
Nashville, TN
I currently have an inground pool with about 3' of concrete around it, and another 3' of brick around that.

2663017290101216050gcSBAj_th.jpg

The trouble is that the concrete has heaved/settled and there are large gaps at the expansion joints. I would like to redo this area and achieve a more uniform, clean look. Any suggestions? Do I have to rip it up and start over or is there something that can overlay this? If I have to start over does anyone have suggestions? I'm sure money will be an option, so I will likely need to find something that is on the economical side.

Thanks,

Riles

Riles...one of the reasons I went with wood. Can you pull it up and inlay a deck there? As long as you have lots of drainage you shouldnt have a problem with decay, some great wood out there and if it does heave you can simply unscrew it/repair/reinstall.

Rik

There are lots of different overlays you can look at depending on how "in shape" your concrete is...a product we have been looking at is called pebble-flex..its a rubberized material that goes over your existing deck and will move with the concrete so it won't ever crack, it is also non-slick and does not get hot...

a cheaper overlay would be an "ameri-coat" or a sundeck...both go right over existing concrete and give the look of stamped concrete or designed concrete without the heavy price. these products will have to be replaced probably every 10 years or so...

mcgolf23 said:
There are lots of different overlays you can look at depending on how "in shape" your concrete is...a product we have been looking at is called pebble-flex..its a rubberized material that goes over your existing deck and will move with the concrete so it won't ever crack, it is also non-slick and does not get hot...

a cheaper overlay would be an "ameri-coat" or a sundeck...both go right over existing concrete and give the look of stamped concrete or designed concrete without the heavy price. these products will have to be replaced probably every 10 years or so...

Where can I find dealers for these products?

Our deck is concrete (came w/the house) 4'x4' squares each with a small pressure-treated board inbetween. Will those overlays work in that situation?

Attachments

• Modified Contract.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 1
Our deck is concrete (came w/the house) 4'x4' squares each with a small pressure-treated board inbetween. Will those overlays work in that situation?

Almost surely not. A stable base is the key to those overlays. Minor movements (small, small crack in the concrete) are usually okay but if the concrete moves much more than about 1/16th" from season to season, the overlay will come apart sooner or later.

You've got a lot of movement in that base with the wood and individual slabs.....I would question the ability of any overlay to give you satisfactory performance.

duraleigh said:

Almost surely not. A stable base is the key to those overlays. Minor movements (small, small crack in the concrete) are usually okay but if the concrete moves much more than about 1/16th" from season to season, the overlay will come apart sooner or later.

You've got a lot of movement in that base with the wood and individual slabs.....I would question the ability of any overlay to give you satisfactory performance.

Ouch. Well then could they do each slab? I'd be OK with that too, but I bet it'd be a pain in the butt. I'd still need to get either the wood replaced, or have something else fasioned in between.

Ouch. Well then could they do each slab? I'd be OK with that too, but I bet it'd be a pain in the butt. I'd still need to get either the wood replaced, or have something else fasioned in between.
Yeah, that's not a bad idea. Some type of "fill" that would move just a little in between the slabs would probably work. Right now, I can't make anything suitable come to mind but your idea is a good one. I'd talk to an installer and see if they've done it before.....they'll have some good info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.