Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: leaking water at backwash pipe

1. Back To Top    #1

leaking water at backwash pipe

Hello!
    My 4000 series Pentair DE filter is leaking water from the backwash pipe. I wanted to know, weather or not will adversely affect my return clean water if I just close the filter's backwash exit? instead of leaving my discharged pipe open which is my currently set up. I have changed both o-rings on the rotor. Also changed the white in color rotor seal.

I am so very frustrated because I have replaced all all of the seals to prevent any leaks, but I am still dealing with this problem.

Please advice,
    George
    22k plaster pool kidney shape. Pentair 4000 de series 48 ft. 2 SKIMMERS, 2 drains (pool and spa), 3 returns (2 pool and 1 spa) gas heater and pentair intelliflow , Underwater pentair light.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: leaking water at backwash pipe

How much water are you loosing? Gallons, Drips? Steady stream?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi! I am loosing water in a steady stream about a 1/5 gallon a minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    22k plaster pool kidney shape. Pentair 4000 de series 48 ft. 2 SKIMMERS, 2 drains (pool and spa), 3 returns (2 pool and 1 spa) gas heater and pentair intelliflow , Underwater pentair light.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi! I checked today and now is just dripping. Is that the norm with this type of filters?

G.

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post

5. Back To Top    #5

Mine never leaks if the multi-valve is seated properly.

But if I am not careful and not notice it is not sealed, I can lose half of the pool water in a few days ... this I why I not do not leave it connected to the pipe that goes underground, so I can see if it is leaking.

I would inspect the spider gasket again in the mutli-valve and see if there is any debris or damage to the seal.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Excellent Idea!

I will check for spider's seal and look for debris or damage. My local pool retail person suggested to just cap the end of the discharge. Capping the end of the discharged, is that ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Mine never leaks if the multi-valve is seated properly.

But if I am not careful and not notice it is not sealed, I can lose half of the pool water in a few days ... this I why I not do not leave it connected to the pipe that goes underground, so I can see if it is leaking.

I would inspect the spider gasket again in the mutli-valve and see if there is any debris or damage to the seal.

7. Back To Top    #7

If you capped it, how would you backwash or pump to waste? Or are you talking about some kind of removable cap?

You could just put a valve on the line too, but I like to KNOW if it is leaking. If water can leak out the backwash pipe, it could also be bypassing the filter altogether and returning to the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!