Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Intellitouch 5 versus EasyTouch 4

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Intellitouch 5 versus EasyTouch 4

Looking for comparison between the EasyTouch 4 and the Intellitouch 5. We are contracted for the Intellitouch 5 but builder bought EasyTouch 4. My research shows that major differences are price, expandability and macro support.

Pool Details:
    Gunite with Pebble finish
    Approx 500sf
    approx 18,000 gallon (I think)
    7 x 7 Raised Spa will spillover
    Waterfall feature

Pentair Equipment.
    2 x Intellibrite pool lights
    1 x Intellibrite Spa Light
    IntelliFlo VS pump
    Clean and Clear 420
    IntelliChlor SCG ic40
    MasterTemp 400 Heater
    Polaris 360 Pressure Side Cleaner
    Wireless remote

Solar Thermal

1) price difference between easy touch4 and intellitouch 5, hard to tell given the included Intellichlor with the EasyTouch
    2) Can the Easytouch 4 control as many different things as the Intellitouch 5? My understanding is that the number states how many separate control circuits the controller can handle so an Intellitouch 5 can do 1 more and is expandable while the EasyTouch 4 is limited to 4?
    3) Can an easy touch 4 control everything with enough granularity and independence (pool, spa, solar, heater, lights, solar, waterfall, cleaner, ..etc)
    4) Is the wireless remote a good controller option, or the indoor panel has more capabilities? Can we add ScreenLogic with iPad option later?

thanks for your help

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Intellitouch 5 versus EasyTouch 4

There is an Easytouch 8

I like the LCD display which is only on the Easytouch.

You can get the Easytouch with or without the intellichor

Screenlogic and Autelis both work with the Easytouch
    In design phase-
    Considering salt vs ozone
    60' x 9' lap

3. Back To Top    #3

Anyone know the specific differences between EasyTouch4 and Intellitouch 5?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

Pentair used to have a nice feature comparison sheet, but I can't find it any more.

The IntelliTouch is much more flexible in it's programming. On the EasyTouch you need to set things up in the way Pentair designed it to be used (which works well for most situations), while the IntelliTouch allows macros that can toggle other circuits fairly easily. The base IntelliTouch appears to come with five relays, while the base EasyTouch appears to come with four. The IntelliTouch is easily expanded to control several additional valves, beyond the base four that they both support. The IntelliTouch is also much more expandable in other ways, though that gets expensive. There are also minor differences in a few of the available remotes, though mostly they are the same.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to the forum pnpgator.

Jason gave you more info than I could. Hope you enjoy your new pool setup and your time on the forum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Jason, that helped. I am going to stick with the Intellitouch and going up to the i7 so I can control my landscape lighting and possibly adding a fountain and still have room for some expansion in future. I also decided to go straight to the screen logic control. I think the last thing I need is another remote to lose.

I am going to look into programming the macros, those sound interesting if I can preset or coordinate circuits into 1 click options, that would be cool.
    thanks again

7. Back To Top    #7
    South Florida

I'm also getting the i7. Would love to hear back from you as to how you like it and ease of setup.