Efficiency upgrade options for my Whisperflo WFE-6

Feb 27, 2014
Riverside, CA
I recently retired and have too much time on my hands and I'm trying to reduce costs wherever possible. I have a 13,000 gal pool with attached jacuzzi and no water features and 2 inch plumbing. I have The Pool Cleaner which is attached to the skimmer and the bottom drain is plugged off (at the skimmer) so the only flow to the pump from the pool is from The Pool Cleaner. The suction valve by the pump is set to approx. 85% pool and 15% jacuzzi. My pump is a Whisperflo WFE-6 and it's been whispering at me (every day for about 4 hours) to find out whether it should be replaced with a more efficient setup. Any recommendations on a new pump, more efficient motor or do you think I have too much time on my hands? I'm fine if it takes 2 years to get a ROI. thanks in advance for your assistance.

If your electrical costs are high, it might be worthwhile going to a variable speed pump. Your utility might offer a rebate on the purchase of a qualifying variable speed pump. If you don't need much flow for the spa jets, then one of the smaller variable speed pumps would probably work for you.

Those rates aren't super high. However, if you run the pool all year, then the payback will be sooner. If your utility gives a rebate, it might be worthwhile going to a variable speed pump. Running the pool longer at slower speed costs less and gives better results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.