I need advice please on this pump basket lid

Mark R

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 18, 2013
Desert Southwest, USA
My skimmer basket broke into pieces so I don't know what was sucked into pump basket. I vacuumed out the skimmer suction pipe as best as I could.

Now I want to check my pump basket and can't get the lid off.

It's there a special tool to turn the lid ? It's on to tight. Pump is off but still lots of suction on the lid.

Pictures are of the lid and the tool that came with the pump. But there's no room to turn the lid with this tool. I've always tried to just tighten the lid the minimum amount so it won't suck air or spit water out at shut down. I always lube the gasket.

This is a constant problem, the lid is always a pain to get off and I'm really getting aggravated.

I need help on how to remove the lid please ! I can't beat it with a hammer.

udaqytu4.jpg

remy6ena.jpg

hugu7apa.jpg

use9u3a7.jpg

uhypa3um.jpg

The area is so confined, I can't get that tool on the lid. I'll try some kind if channel lock tool if there is a better idea. Even with the pump running it won't move.

Sent -3 or -8

One other question:

It is normal for a pool pump lid to squirt water from under the lid when the pump is turned off. Is this a result of the water relaxing from being under so much suction. Maybe I've made it to tight by not allowing this? Is there any way to remove pressure from this lid while the pump is off ?

Yup,- that tool is designed to help you unscrew the lid, but not tighten.

My previous pump always squirted when the pump shut off, but never sucked in air so I did not worry about it. Most pumps don't.

One the pump is off, there is no suction. I suppose you could try opening the air screw the filter and let it drain, but i don't think it will make the lid come off easier.

You might try using an oil filter wrench to loosen the pump lid. You can also try using a rubber mallet to gently tap one side of the pump lid to help it move while trying to twist it open.

You may want to consider re plumbing the pump to give you a little more room to work when the basket needs cleaning.

The guy next door had 2 kinda small plumbers wrench tools and we each took one side of the handle and turned very slowly and it came off perfectly, it's all about torque, not brut force or a hammer :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 39
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.