Raypak heater pilot lights but gas valve wont open

n8huntsman

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
I've got a Raypak P-R405B-EN (RP2100). The pilot lights but continues to click, click, click. Screen reads "spk" But the valve never opens. There is no voltage at the valve. Does this point to the PC board, or is there a sensor that tells the board that the pilot is lit that could be malfunctioning?
Thanks

After you check to make sure that the ground down by the pilot assembly is OK, then I would change out the board. 99% of the time when the pilot lights, and it still continues to spark, it's the board. Many times, at least here in FL, I will find a dead lizard, tree frog, or even a snake that has crawled up inside to stay warm and it shorts out the board.

Doesn't the pilot just ground to the metal body of the heater? How would I check the ground? I pulled the board out and looked at it closely and didn't see anything obvious. Anyone ever replaced the relays on these? It would be an easy solder and being the only mechanical feature on the board I would suspect it to be a likely candidate.
I toggled the power to the heater many times and actually got it to fire a couple times but it always went right back out. I'd hate to spend a couple hundred on a board and have it be something simple.

Yes the pilot assembly just grounds to the heaters metal. Just make sure it's attached. Many times a board has issues but nothing visually will tell you other wise. If you are worried about buying something you don't need, then find a place that will take a return without charging you. The flame sensor is also the pilot. This unit does not have a separate flame sensor like some others do. Sure you could spend the time to replace the relay but many times it's not worth the price. Just replace the entire board and be done with it.

I know I'll get yelled at for this, but I waited for the pilot to ignite then jumpered 24vac to the gas valve and it immediately goes to ignition lock out (ILO). Does this tell anything? How does the ILO prevent the valve from opening? Even with the gas valve jumpered with 24v, it still never lit.

This is because the board is not getting the signal back saying the pilot lit. You can do this all day long with the same result. You did prove that the gas valve is OK. You need to replace the board.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.