PVC flex pipe concerns

Donny

Feb 1, 2014
Upstate, NY
It seems many PB's are using PVC flex pipe during construction of a new pool. Is there any concern for termites eating the flex PVC pipe ??? I have read a few articles which outlined this hazard and I'm not sure what real world experience is with pool owners ??? Thx

Termite damage is quite rare and mostly confined to a few states in the South. Some kinds of flex are more susceptible to termites than other kinds. Flex PVC is resistant but not termite proof, while black poly is more susceptible, and spa hose is at high risk. Even rigid PVC pipe is slightly susceptible, though more resistant that flex PVC.

It seems to me that people in warmer climates tend to have more problems with flex PVC than those in cooler climates, but all I can really go on is my own experience with the stuff. Which to put it mildly is if I were to ever see it on anything I own in the future the first thing I would do is rip it out to save all the headaches later on, I am just glad I never had any significant amount of the stuff underground.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.