Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC flex pipe concerns

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC flex pipe concerns

It seems many PB's are using PVC flex pipe during construction of a new pool. Is there any concern for termites eating the flex PVC pipe ??? I have read a few articles which outlined this hazard and I'm not sure what real world experience is with pool owners ??? Thx
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: PVC flex pipe concerns

Interesting one. It's news to me.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

Termite damage is quite rare and mostly confined to a few states in the South. Some kinds of flex are more susceptible to termites than other kinds. Flex PVC is resistant but not termite proof, while black poly is more susceptible, and spa hose is at high risk. Even rigid PVC pipe is slightly susceptible, though more resistant that flex PVC.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the reply.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

5. Back To Top    #5

It seems to me that people in warmer climates tend to have more problems with flex PVC than those in cooler climates, but all I can really go on is my own experience with the stuff. Which to put it mildly is if I were to ever see it on anything I own in the future the first thing I would do is rip it out to save all the headaches later on, I am just glad I never had any significant amount of the stuff underground.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Only thing I use the flex on is right before the pump and right after the pump to take any vibration from the pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

Oh boy, I think the PB is using flex around the perimeter of the pool.

8. Back To Top    #8

I would have never guessed Termites would be a problem for PVC. Learn something new every day.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem