Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Trichlor tablets for start up

1. Back To Top    #1

Using Trichlor tablets for start up

This discussion was split from HERE to avoid hijacking. jblizzle

I still can’t believe that Shasta did not show you how to do the pool chemistry. We recently had our pool built too out here in Arizona (Completed in January) and our builder (California Pool and Landscape) sent a guy out and showed me step by step how to measure everything. They did give me the cheap test kit. I will buy the TF-100 before the summer hits us. Another funny story about Leslie’s pool supplies they told me I had to use the Tricholr Pucks and not liquid chlorine “because, Arizona does not get enough rain to keep the CYA levels up in the pool.” I just nodded my head and smiled and did not say anything. I am glad I found the forum months ago and knew the guy was lying to me. On a side note I am currently using the Tricholr Pucks the pool builder gave me at startup, but once they are gone I will switch over to liquid chlorine.
    17k IG pool (34' X 19'), Pebble Plus Interior - Artic, Hayward ECO Star Variable Speed Pump, Hayward ProLogic P-4, Hayward 480 Cartridge Filter,
    (2) Jandy Deck Jet's and (1) bubbler, Wave Force Cleaning System, Trident UV sanitation System, TF-100 test kit with SpeedStir
    My Pool Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool startup in AZ

Quote Originally Posted by mcanchola2 View Post
    On a side note I am currently using the Tricholr Pucks the pool builder gave me at startup, but once they are gone I will switch over to liquid chlorine.
    This may not be a good plan. What is your CYA currently? How many pucks are you planning on using?
    If your CYA is range, you would be better off saving the pucks until you need to raise the CYA some and start using bleach now.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

+ 1^^^^. I was just going to say the same thing.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

well I guess I am going to have to buy the TF-100 sooner than later to get my CYA readings. I will buy it once I get home from work. I am on my 5th puck and my FC level is at 4, My PH is at 7.6 and my TA is 110. These are the readngs from the test kit that my pool builder gave me. I have not taken my water to a pool store, not sure I will trust them to be honest.
    17k IG pool (34' X 19'), Pebble Plus Interior - Artic, Hayward ECO Star Variable Speed Pump, Hayward ProLogic P-4, Hayward 480 Cartridge Filter,
    (2) Jandy Deck Jet's and (1) bubbler, Wave Force Cleaning System, Trident UV sanitation System, TF-100 test kit with SpeedStir
    My Pool Build

5. Back To Top    #5

New pool startup in AZ

Get the kit and test your own water. You can use pool math, at the bottom Effects of Adding Chem's. to give you an idea how much each puck is increasing your CYA level.

You DON'T want to over shoot that level.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mcanchola2 View Post
    well I guess I am going to have to buy the TF-100 sooner than later to get my CYA readings. I will buy it once I get home from work. I am on my 5th puck and my FC level is at 4, My PH is at 7.6 and my TA is 110. These are the readngs from the test kit that my pool builder gave me. I have not taken my water to a pool store, not sure I will trust them to be honest.
    Assuming you pool is around 17k gallons, each puck raises the CYA by about 2ppm and the FC by 3.2ppm. Was there any stabilizer added during start up? If not, you are only up to around 10ppm on the CYA (and honestly I would be surprised that you still have a FC level of 4ppm). So, my guess is that stabilizer was added previously because if not, the sun would likely burn up the FC faster than the puck would be adding it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: Using Trichlor tablets for start up

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes there was stabilizer added at startup. And the pool is around 17,000 gallons
    My Pool Build

9. Back To Top    #9

Did You order the TF -100 ? If you didn't I recommend you do. When the kit comes test your CYA level. That's why you have to watch using the pucks till you know where that level is. Get the kit and post your test results.
    Jeff

10. Back To Top    #10

Sounds good, the kit had been ordered
    My Pool Build

11. Back To Top    #11

Good job 👍. Your CYA level may be ok. You just want to confirm what it is so you don't get it too high. PITA to get it lowered if ya know what I mean. 😎
    Jeff

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, I do not want to drain a brand new pool, that would suck
    My Pool Build

13. Back To Top    #13

I bought the TF-100 and got the XL option and the magnetic stirrer as well.
    My Pool Build

14. Back To Top    #14

Good job ! You won't regret it and the speed stir is a nice little upgrade to it. Must have been pay day yesterday. LOL 😎
    Jeff

15. Back To Top    #15

lol, it was but I can afford the nice things in life every once in awhile AKA a speed stir, lol. If I am going to be the pool boy I might as well have a cool test kit
    My Pool Build

16. Back To Top    #16

The right tools for the job no matter what the cost. LOL.
    Jeff

17. Back To Top    #17

Went to the pool store today and got readings from them. (I am still waiting for my TF - 100 to show up)

FC - 3
    TC - 3
    CH - 210
    CYA - 70
    TA - 100
    PH - 7.5

According to their test my CYA is a little high. They also said the my phosphates were high. I am guessing that is what they were told to push here. because everyone that goes there is told their phosphates are high.
    My Pool Build

18. Back To Top    #18

No need to worry about phosphates.

Let's compare when the TF-100 arrives. With those results your FC is low for the CYA level. You should be no lower than 5 ppm FC for that CYA level. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock
    Jeff

19. Back To Top    #19

I just did the pool calculator and I am going to add some more liquid chlorine now, to get it up to 5
    My Pool Build

20. Back To Top    #20

I would go to at least 8. 5 is the bare min. Hopefully the kit will arrive shortly and you will have an accurate way of testing.

How does your water look, just out of curiosity.
    Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast