pool pump and filter

Feb 27, 2014
oklahoma
ok i know there are some calculators on here and all but i am struggling. I am installing a 17500 gallon fiberglass pool and need to order a sand filter and 2 speed pump. looking for recommendations for size of pump I need and also size of filter.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Are there any water features that also will be served by this pump? Fountains, spa, bubblers, waterfalls, solar panels, ect? What size plumbing are you using?

Welcome to the forums. It's important to know what water features there are if any. Also how are you going to add chlorine to the pool? SWCG or liquid? If you're going to use a SWCG then I recommend a cartridge filter over sand due to the fact you don't backwash the chemicals added out. But when it comes down to filters it personal preference.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You are like the 4th person with a 17k gallon pool asking what size sand filter to get in the last 2 days :D
I would recommend a minimum of 24" diameter sand or 250 sqft cartridge ... smaller will work, but require more frequent cleaning.

ok here is where i am. no features or extras on the pool. just pool pump and filter. thanks for the info on the sand filter. also trying to figure out pump options. seems a 3/4 hp is enough but not sure if its better to do a 3/4 hp single speed or a 1hp 2 speed as I cant seem to find any 2 speed 3/4hp. also is it better to go 110 or 220 volts? sorry so many questions.

I would definitely go with a 2 speed even if it is a little larger, you are right that ¾ are hard to find. Also most 2 speed pumps are 230v so hopefully you have that available to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.