Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool pump and filter

1. Back To Top    #1

pool pump and filter

ok i know there are some calculators on here and all but i am struggling. I am installing a 17500 gallon fiberglass pool and need to order a sand filter and 2 speed pump. looking for recommendations for size of pump I need and also size of filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool pump and filter

Hi, welcome to TFP! Are there any water features that also will be served by this pump? Fountains, spa, bubblers, waterfalls, solar panels, ect? What size plumbing are you using?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forums. It's important to know what water features there are if any. Also how are you going to add chlorine to the pool? SWCG or liquid? If you're going to use a SWCG then I recommend a cartridge filter over sand due to the fact you don't backwash the chemicals added out. But when it comes down to filters it personal preference.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!!

You are like the 4th person with a 17k gallon pool asking what size sand filter to get in the last 2 days
    I would recommend a minimum of 24" diameter sand or 250 sqft cartridge ... smaller will work, but require more frequent cleaning.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

ok here is where i am. no features or extras on the pool. just pool pump and filter. thanks for the info on the sand filter. also trying to figure out pump options. seems a 3/4 hp is enough but not sure if its better to do a 3/4 hp single speed or a 1hp 2 speed as I cant seem to find any 2 speed 3/4hp. also is it better to go 110 or 220 volts? sorry so many questions.

6. Back To Top    #6

I would definitely go with a 2 speed even if it is a little larger, you are right that are hard to find. Also most 2 speed pumps are 230v so hopefully you have that available to you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!