Insulation Walls Under Liner

Feb 24, 2014
Delaware, OH
I am buying a 27' AGP, my dealer sent me a link with all kinds of options, I saw one for the Thermo-Wall insulation that goes between the liner and the pool wall. I immediately disregarded it as worthless. The more I thought about it the more it sounded like it may work some to insulate the walls when the air temps dip at night. Do you think it would actually work or not worth it at all? I am still leaning towards no, but wanted to get all of your thoughts.

It is basically foil on one side with air bubbles in it. I have seen stuff like it before at the hardware store.

No experience on Thermo-wall in particular, however keep in mind that any forgiving material between the liner and pool wall will increase the risk of liner punctures. I've seen IG pools with wall foam that do look and feel nice, but I've also seen a good amount of liners with punctures for various reasons. (Dogs, kids pushing off from wall with long toenails, etc.) not sure if this is as big of an issue with an AG, but something to consider.

Any actual numbers on heat retention, r-value, or the like for this product?

A lot of people that have the wall foam say if they had to do it again they would not get it. I don't have it. Best thing you can do to prevent heat loss at. night is to get a solar cover

I also agree with more risk of a puncture to the liner.

It is basically foil on one side with air bubbles in it. I have seen stuff like it before at the hardware store.

Will there be an air gap been the liner and the material? That material is a radiant barrier and requires a dead air space on one side to do anything. In that scenario it reflects radiant energy and has some limited value. However it has little to no conductive thermal resistance (ie R value) so if directly touching the wall and liner then it's basically useless.

thread from the dead. :cool: I liked my 1/8" wall foam so much that I added a second layer. call me crazy. I don't see the puncture hazard as an issue after 6 years with the one layer.

I used those blue 1" foam insulating boards and just taped them together with gorilla tape. The only issue I've had is over the last few years is the tape has stretched and made little valleys in the bottom. It's like a wrinkle. In reverse. Definitely no punctures. Does NOTHING for the temp of the pool either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.