How to attach fitting in pump lid for pool closing

wpbucher

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 7, 2012
South-Central Pennsylvania
While wishing that this long winter will end soon, my thoughts wondered to my pool. My goal this year is to close the pool myself and avoid the $380 charge. I have a farily complicated system, but the guy that closed my pool was done in about 40 minutes.

One thing that made things fast/easy is that he had a whisperflow pump lid with a connector in the top. He attached the lid to the pump. Attached a hose (I believe it was a filter connection hose) to his 3 HP cyclone blower/vac and voila.....water spewing in no time.

This setup allows him to close a pool by himself. No need to have another person trying to hold hose in pump trying to make it seal. Lid provides a super tight seal.

My question is: Has anyone fabricated a pump lid with a hose connection? If so how did you do it? What parts did you use?

Thanks.

be very carefull you understand your system..its not worth couple thousand to dig up broken lines..in a pinch ive taken the shirt off my back wraped it around the blower hose, then put it in the pump, you will need 2 people for this. 1 to hold the hose in the pump and 1 to plug everything.

I drilled out the top of the pump lid via lots of little holes and a round file. I found that a 1.5 hose connector like a (Hayward AXV092) fits inside the pump head and a 1.5 inch hose through the top of the lid onto the connector makes a snug fit. When the pump is pressurized from the blower the connector will be pressed against the bottom of the lid and cannot blow out.

I would like to glue/seal everything together.

What type of glue/sealant should I used to glue everything together that is compatible with the hose, connector, and pump lid cover?

I know some glues/sealants are not compatible with certain types of plastic.

I learned this the hard way. When I was 8 years old I had a hamster in a habitral cage. It had a big wheel that started to squeak. So I sprayed WD-40 on it. The WD-40 ate the plastic spindel and destroyed the wheel. I thought I would ask, lest history repeats itself.

Thanks for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.