Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Grass around pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Grass around pool

Hi. I am looking to put grass around my pool. It is a tight space near walls and I am curious about drainage and if I should worry about damage to the backside of the pool and put in some drainage. We don't get a lot of rain, but when it comes, it can be a lot.

Thanks,

Trevor

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Grass around pool

Welcome to TFP.

We'll be better able to help if we know what type of pool we're dealing with.
    Is it in or above ground?
    If aboveground, is it buried?
    Etc.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

It is an in ground pool. I'm worried about rain seeping through the soil and damaging the concrete from the buried side. Is this a concern? My yard used to be all concrete and I am changing that up so instead of water washing off the concrete to a drain on the side yard, it will percolate down through the grass. It's not clay soil and does soak up the water to a point. thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

Is it just for looks? If it's a small area you could even consider fake grass...no maintenance nor would you have to worry about irrigation.

5. Back To Top    #5

Not a fan of fake grass. I'm putting in the grass for looks and a cooler temp surface. I'm wondering if something like a french drain is necessary or am I worried about nothing when it comes to damaging the concrete on the back side of the pool that is underground.

6. Back To Top    #6

You're most likely worried for nothing.

Unless the rains would cause a lot of runoff to enter the pool itself I wouldn't worry about any type drainage.

There are pools like yours that sit in water so much that if they are drained they will float and it doesn't hurt the shell to be wet like that all the time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Only one side of our pool has grass but when the grass gets mowed we get a LOT in the pool. Thank goodness for the Polaris. Still, we end up going out and netting it after our yard man cuts the grass.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!