Sand vs Cartridge

I've used both and here's my take... Cartridge seems like less maintenance but more of a pita to clean. Sand is easier to clean ie. backwash. The cartridge seems to filter better than the sand, and therefore if you have an issue with the pool it clogs up quicker.. Also, clean cartridges seem to flow much better with less back pressure. You need to make sure you have a well fed pump to keep it quiet with a cartridge filter.

Personally, I'd probably pick sand for main pool filtration and cartridge for specialty things like laminar jets. I like not having to backwash the sand but it's a drag to take the cartridges to the car wash to thoroughly clean.

Sand filters waste more water than cartridge filters, and you have to have a place for the backwash water to go. If you live in a place with water restrictions or limited drainage this may be an issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have any water features? If not the 1hp 2-speed will work.
I'm using a 3/4 2-speed on my pool and i only have 100ft filter. Overall happy with the setup. In the summer at the peak of the season, I may have to clean the filter more often, less in the winter (pool is open year round.)

The above ground Matrix 2-speed pumps are 120V with a cord/plug ... at least according the Amazon.

- - - Updated - - -

This is AG pool right? Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

The above ground Matrix 2-speed pumps are 120V with a cord/plug ... at least according the Amazon.

- - - Updated - - -

This is AG pool right? Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Yes, 115V.

it is AG, i haven't added it to my signature yet because i haven't bought it. i am getting all the details worked out so i can do one purchase and installation. when i do, i will add for sure.

I really appreciate the help you all are, i am in great debt to this board already. I really feel like i am making a lot better decisions and being able to stay in my budget doing it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.