Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand vs Cartridge

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand vs Cartridge

Split from HERE. Please start your own thread for your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle

What are the major advantages on going from a sand filter to a cartridge filter?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Moving to Cartridge Filter - Opinions and Math Help Needed

Hello mattk22,
    You should start your own thread and not hi-jack another. But it really comes down to preference. They all have some pros/cons.
    Read this link: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ter-comparison It should answer your question.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Sand vs Cartridge

I've used both and here's my take... Cartridge seems like less maintenance but more of a pita to clean. Sand is easier to clean ie. backwash. The cartridge seems to filter better than the sand, and therefore if you have an issue with the pool it clogs up quicker.. Also, clean cartridges seem to flow much better with less back pressure. You need to make sure you have a well fed pump to keep it quiet with a cartridge filter.

Personally, I'd probably pick sand for main pool filtration and cartridge for specialty things like laminar jets. I like not having to backwash the sand but it's a drag to take the cartridges to the car wash to thoroughly clean.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sand filters waste more water than cartridge filters, and you have to have a place for the backwash water to go. If you live in a place with water restrictions or limited drainage this may be an issue.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

I am looking at a 17,400 gal pool. what cartridge filters would you recommend? seems Hayward is the easiest to get, but the only ones I see from them in a decent price range are the xStream and they do not come with a 2 speed pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Don't buy a kit. But the pump and filter separately. IIRC we would recommend strong around a 250 sqft cartridge filter ... Just like I said in your other thread.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Don't buy a kit. But the pump and filter separately. IIRC we would recommend strong around a 250 sqft cartridge filter ... Just like I said in your other thread.
    i tried to move my questions to this thread since it is in the correct forum. one nubbie question, what is IIRC? Second, any recommended brands to go with or stay away from?

8. Back To Top    #8

If I Recall Correctly

Any major brand is fine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

IIRC (If I Recall Correctly) http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=iirc

Get a filter that's been around. Also check on the availability of replacement cartridges down the road.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

10. Back To Top    #10

So, in my budget the highest i can go is a Hayward xStream 150, it is 150 sq ft. sounds like a 1hp dual speed will work for that or should i do the 1.5hp?

11. Back To Top    #11

Do you have any water features? If not the 1hp 2-speed will work.
    I'm using a 3/4 2-speed on my pool and i only have 100ft filter. Overall happy with the setup. In the summer at the peak of the season, I may have to clean the filter more often, less in the winter (pool is open year round.)

12. Back To Top    #12

i don't, i may add solar heat at some point.

13. Back To Top    #13

You may even want to look at a 3/4 2-speed setup. Are you going to be using 120V or 240V?

14. Back To Top    #14

120V

15. Back To Top    #15

All 2 speed pumps that I know about require 240V

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

16. Back To Top    #16

The above ground Matrix 2-speed pumps are 120V with a cord/plug ... at least according the Amazon.

- - - Updated - - -

This is AG pool right? Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    The above ground Matrix 2-speed pumps are 120V with a cord/plug ... at least according the Amazon.

- - - Updated - - -

This is AG pool right? Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Yes, 115V.

it is AG, i haven't added it to my signature yet because i haven't bought it. i am getting all the details worked out so i can do one purchase and installation. when i do, i will add for sure.

I really appreciate the help you all are, i am in great debt to this board already. I really feel like i am making a lot better decisions and being able to stay in my budget doing it.