Air In Pump Basket/Possible Leak

Jul 17, 2013
Carrollton, TX
I noticed yesterday that there are small bubbles coming out of the return closest to my pump. Upon closer inspection the skimmer closest to the pump (which is next to the previously mentioned return) isn't full of water. Instead, water is rushing in to the skimmer. I went to the pump and the strainer basket is about 25% full of air. I double checked that the o-ring isn't worn, it's not, and applied lube to help the lid seal. I then checked the drain plug and all was fine there too. Here is what the skimmer looks like. The water is coming from the left side of the picture.

20140225_175038.jpg

When I turn the valve for that skimmer off I don't have any issues. I'm thinking there is a leak on this line. What are your thoughts?

No, this skimmer doesn't have a weir. I just noticed that last night and will install one before summer.

It's really weird. If I just crack the skimmer valve open I get air in the pump basket. When I close it the air goes away. That's why I'm leaning towards a leak somewhere.

If I'm seeing that picture correctly, the skimmer is where the air is coming from. Is the water level in the pool lower than normal? If so, raise it. Even if you don't think it is, raise it some and see if the problem goes away.

I'm not even close to being an expert, so I'll shut up now. I'm going to sit back and watch this thread. I have to ask, is the other skimmer working properly? water is moving?

The water level is a little lower than normal but not by much. I'll try adding water and see if that helps.

The other skimmer is working fine, which is good because it's downwind and gets 90% of leaves. The skimmer I'm having issues with doesn't get much in it, so if I need to keep it closed I'm fine with that.

Thanks for the help mrcarcrazy and Bama. I'll update after I add more water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.