Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air In Pump Basket/Possible Leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Air In Pump Basket/Possible Leak

I noticed yesterday that there are small bubbles coming out of the return closest to my pump. Upon closer inspection the skimmer closest to the pump (which is next to the previously mentioned return) isn't full of water. Instead, water is rushing in to the skimmer. I went to the pump and the strainer basket is about 25% full of air. I double checked that the o-ring isn't worn, it's not, and applied lube to help the lid seal. I then checked the drain plug and all was fine there too. Here is what the skimmer looks like. The water is coming from the left side of the picture.

20140225_175038.jpg

When I turn the valve for that skimmer off I don't have any issues. I'm thinking there is a leak on this line. What are your thoughts?
    14,000 gal IG + spa, DE Filter, 400k BTU heater, Polaris 280, Aqualink RS6, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Air In Pump Basket/Possible Leak

Is the skimmer door stuck closed?
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

No, this skimmer doesn't have a weir. I just noticed that last night and will install one before summer.

It's really weird. If I just crack the skimmer valve open I get air in the pump basket. When I close it the air goes away. That's why I'm leaning towards a leak somewhere.
    14,000 gal IG + spa, DE Filter, 400k BTU heater, Polaris 280, Aqualink RS6, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

If I'm seeing that picture correctly, the skimmer is where the air is coming from. Is the water level in the pool lower than normal? If so, raise it. Even if you don't think it is, raise it some and see if the problem goes away.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I'm not even close to being an expert, so I'll shut up now. I'm going to sit back and watch this thread. I have to ask, is the other skimmer working properly? water is moving?
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

6. Back To Top    #6

The water level is a little lower than normal but not by much. I'll try adding water and see if that helps.

The other skimmer is working fine, which is good because it's downwind and gets 90% of leaves. The skimmer I'm having issues with doesn't get much in it, so if I need to keep it closed I'm fine with that.

Thanks for the help mrcarcrazy and Bama. I'll update after I add more water.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

He's probably right, just a little low on water. Simplest fix first.

8. Back To Top    #8

That's what I'm hoping. Of course my brain goes to the worst possible outcome first.

9. Back To Top    #9

Adding more water fixed the issue. I feel like an idiot for not thinking of that first.

10. Back To Top    #10

Glad it was that easy. Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit