Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Size

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Size

Hi guys...I'm just about to purchase my new pool kit and am just making a few last minute decisions. Pool is 18x36 kidney shape, 22000gallons. 30" hayward Pro Series 30" sand filter (2" top mount), and Summit SUM5 heat pump. I was going to purchase the Hayward Super Pro 2HP single speed pump but the salesman told me that the 1.5 HP is definitely sufficient for my set up. Do you guys agree, or would you recommend the 2HP super pump? I have no other features such as waterfall, slide, spa....just the pool.
    Thanks as always for the help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Size

Actually a 1 hp full rated 2-speed would be a better choice.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Really?...a 1HP is sufficient for this size pool with heat pump? On the same note, is the low speed of the 2 speed pump going to be sufficient when I need to run the heat pump?...or would I just need to run full speed whenever the heater was used?
    Thanks for the help!

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you recommending the Hayward TriStar full rate 1HP 2 speed pump? Or the Hayward Super II 1.5hp Max Rate 2 speed pump?

5. Back To Top    #5

Hello,
    A two speed is usually always recommended over a single speed for energy savings. It's always better to run on high when heating the water, with that said, some heat pumps you can adjust the pressure switch so it will run on low, or at least start on high and switch down to low.
    Will you be using a cover at night? Otherwise it's like heating a house without a ceiling.

Looking forward to seeing your setup.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by coreyadam View Post
    Are you recommending the Hayward TriStar full rate 1HP 2 speed pump? Or the Hayward Super II 1.5hp Max Rate 2 speed pump?
    Either of those should work well. I'd probably go with the TriStar but I don't really have a convincing reason why.

You could try to run the heat pump on low and if it works, great. If it doesn't, just switch to high during the heating cycle.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

That's great guys...i appreciate the input! I will definitely be using a solar cover every night and day when it's not in use. I will absolutely post pics when it's finally set up....but that won't be until middle of May Let me tell ya...the time can't go by fast enough!!!!!