Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: tips on opening an extremely green gunite pool

1. Back To Top    #1

tips on opening an extremely green gunite pool

I don't have the test readings on the water yet, but man do I have a green one this year!

Ideally I'd prefer to drain the water, however our water table is just a few feet below the ground surface.

Trying to vacuum this one will likely plug the sand filter in just a few seconds.

Curious what others have found to work with extreme algae upon opening.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Elverson Pa.

tips on opening an extremely green gunite pool

Why not SLAM it ? If your water table is that high you would have to do a series of partial drains, fill which may use more water than a complete drain refill. A full drain sounds out of the question due to damaging the pool.

You would probably have to SLAM any how to make sure everything was killed off when it was filled back up.

Do you have one of our recommended test kits. ? If you do can you post up some test results to see where things stand.

Take a look at this. It can be done !

Somebody else may have some better advice.
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: tips on opening an extremely green gunite pool

I agree^^^

Where are you located?

A full set of reliable test results is will be needed to determine if any kind of drain would be required, but SLAMing the pool is the best way to get it back to clear.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4
    East Texas

Alternative if you are set on draining it down. Drain from the bottom while filling from the top until you feel better about it. I sure wouldn't do a 1/3 or better drain------then play catch up. You'll still end up Slaming it. Are you sure the drain is even clear of debris?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

First, be certain that any debris is out of the pool. If you can't see the bottom, that will take a lot of work.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.