Vacuum hose to skimmer VS self-contained vacuum

toedip

Feb 25, 2014
southwest florida
New to TFP and new pool owner.

I need help in deciding whether to use the traditional vacuum hose to skimmer or a self-contained vacuum like the Pool Blaster Max. There is a new home being built right next door and my new pool has a lot of dirt/sand at the bottom. I have a cartridge filter (CC150) and am concerned about the filter not being able to trap all that dirt or the dirt ruining the filter. The Pool Blaster's self-contained micro filter bag seems like it would work well, but it is expensive and has gotten mixed reviews.

I'm a first time pool owner and have no experience with how well cartridge filters work. My filter literature mentions the ability to trap very small micron particles but will it really hold all that dirt/sand in the filter crevices? Will I damage the filter? Should I just vacuum and then immediately clean the filter?

Thanks.

Having received a Pool Blaster and the micro bag for Christmas, I can say you want a standard vacuum first, then add the other one later. The mesh will catch grit and probably sand, but it's not fine enough to get the really fine dust that settles on the cars, the windowsills, and the pool floor.

Filters are replaceable items. I sure wouldn't worry about hurting them with dirt! And no, they don't need cleaning unless you see a 25% pressure rise on your gauge. I give the Pool Blaster a solid +1. Mine dies-it gets replaced immediately. Had mine 2 years now. I use it an awful lot to keep crud from going in my filter in the first place when I'm short on water to vac to waste. Welcome to the forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.