Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muratic Acid How Soon To Test After Adding

1. Back To Top    #1

Muratic Acid How Soon To Test After Adding

How long should it take for a p.h. change to show up after adding muratic acid? I used the liquid type, added it to a couple gallons of water, and broadcast at deep end returns. I used 16ozs ,as I was only looking for a .3 reduction.
    16x32 IG vinyl
    24000 gallons
    Hayward super pump 1.5HP
    Hayward Pro Series Filter S244T
    3 returns, bottom drain, skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muratic Acid How Soon To Test After Adding

I always wait overnight, as I want to make sure and not overshoot PH on the low end.

I suppose you could go by your calculated turnover time at a minimum, if you're in a hurry for some reason.

3. Back To Top    #3

Depending on your pool's circulation, the pH change could be reflected in 20-30 minutes though I'd wait an hour to be sure. Most chemicals mix thoroughly in the pool rather quickly and the reactions in the chemical buffer system are very fast (in human terms). The only exception would be "thick" viscous products like PolyQuat 60. I've done tests in my pool that show fairly thorough mixing in 20 minutes when pouring chemicals over a return flow at the deep end, but I've got two floor drains and a skimmer opposite the return at the deep end and two additional returns in the shallow end. For above-ground pools that typically do not have a floor drain, the mixing will take a lot longer though you can speed things up by lightly brushing with a pole or otherwise stirring up the water.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

My pool usually reflects pH changes after 90-120 mins.
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Most chemicals mix thoroughly in the pool rather quickly and the reactions in the chemical buffer system are very fast (in human terms). The only exception would be "thick" viscous products like PolyQuat 60.
    I guess another exception to the 'test it quickly after adding' rule is CL stabilizer/ CYA -this stuff takes up to a week to be testable -from what I've read here.

Dan
    28K Gal. 802 Sq Ft., Free Form, IG, Gunnite with Midnight Maui Hydrazzo Carlton Pool. Exposed Aggregate Decking. Jandy DE Filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Pump, SWCG. Zodiac 380 pressure-side cleaner. Completed Construction: May 2008.