Moving to Cartridge Filter - Opinions and Math Help Needed

Apr 16, 2013
Hi!
After reading the forums for the past year, I need some help that I can't quite figure out from previous forum posts.

Equipment -:
Installed a doughboy 18'x34' with ~7' deep end (~21K gallons) last year, and it came with a sand filter (silica II) and a 2hp pump (20amp 115v). (1) 1.5" return line, (1) 1.5" suction line. Run the pump eight hours a day. Lines will be within 10' of outlets/inlets (ports?)

I want to replace the the sand filter and pump with a cartridge filter and more efficient pump. From what I've been reading, I should go with something bigger than the XStream 150, and this is where I get confused. If I go for a larger filter (425?), will I not be able to give it the pressure it needs? The more I read about the GPM and Design Flow Rate, the more I get confused.

Please Help!

Thanks.

Welcome to TFP.

With a cartridge filter there is no minimum amount of flow or pressure that it needs. You can practically go as large as they make and use as small a pump as they make and it'll work just fine.

You don't say where you're located but if your electric costs are below about 20¢ per kwh look at about a 1hp SFHP 2-speed pump, and if they're higher than that you might want to look into a VS pump.

Thanks for the reply Bama,
I did the math and my total cost per kWh is ~0.13 (live near Baltimore, MD)

A couple of questions -:
1) What's the second speed on 2 speed 1 or 1.5 hp motors? I can't seem to locate that info in the Hayward manuals
2) If 1.5 inch pipe is limited to 44gpm, is all that extra power from the pump a waste?
3) Am I better served by installing a second skimmer on the other end of the pool?
4) How large is large enough, 525 700?
5) Any recommendations on equipment?

Thanks for you help!

1) The low speed is half the high speed, which is usually 3450 rpm, so low would be 1725 rpm. But it's about 1/6th the power usage.
2) It isn't actually limited to 44 gpm that's just the recommended flow rate. You can easily exceed that. Actually running a larger pump into smaller plumbing reduces the power that the pump consumes.
3) It never hurts to have another skimmer, but I'm not sure it would make a great deal of difference.
4) For a 21k gal pool a 400 sgft cartridge would be plenty large.
5) Any of the major mfg's are a good choice.

Since you have a deep end a second return that could be aimed into the deep end would certainly be helpful. Also if you have any circulation issues a second return placed to help that would be a good idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.