New Build - Choosing a Pump and Piping Question

sky2

Aug 26, 2013
Hi everyone – we are looking to build our first pool. It’s 20x40 and 7’ deep. We have a PB we like who has been building pools for 35 years, one at time, and is not big on up-selling believe it or not. His normal pool install is a Hayward single speed pump with 1.5” piping. Our power rates are low, ~$0.08/kWH, and I’m interested in what I read about the 2 speed and variable speed pumps (EcoStar) as well as 2” piping. This is all new to us…would love some feedback on recommendations for single/2/variable speed by Hayward and piping. Thanks!

Welcome to the boards.

Larger pipe less flow restriction. 2-Speed saves money over a single speed when run on low. The variable speeds have a large jump in price and with low electrical cost you don't recoup the price difference in savings.

If the price difference between the 1.5 and 2 is minimal I'd go with the 2 inch.

What size pump is he looking to install? If you don't have any water features you can get away with 1/2 HP or 3/4HP for even more savings.

Lots of good info in Pool School: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/

Thank you. I had read the high level pump info in Pool School under Equipment, but now I see the detailed pump information under the Construction tab, "Pump Basics" which is helpful.

The pump is only for the pool, there is a separate one for the water feature. He had spec'd a 1.5 Hp single speed, but did echo what you said above about a 1/2-3/4 HP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.